Chapter 14

"From then on, Matilda would visit the library only once a week in order to take out new books and return the old ones. Her own small bedroom now became her reading room and there she would sit and read most afternoons, often with a mug of hot chocolate beside her." I paused, just so I could glance at the little fellows' faces to see if they were listening. They were. "She was not quite tall enough to reach things around the kitchen, but she kept a small box in the out house which she bought in and stood on in order to get whatever she wanted." I paused, giggling to myself. "Don't you guys do that at home too?" I ask them and most of them cheekily grin. "Mostly it was hot chocolate she made, warming the milk in a saucepan on the stove before mixing it. Occasionally she made Bovril or Ovaltine. It was pleasant to take a hot drink up to her room and have it beside her as she sat in her silent room reading in the empty house in the afternoons." I smiled before continuing again. "The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village." I ended the last part of the first chapter and I was surprised when everyone started clapping their small hands.

"Miss Kiara?" Amelia, who has beautiful blonde hair and wears cute round glasses, raises her small hand.

"Yes, darling" I turned towards her.

"How can Matilda travel around the world without going to the airport?" She asks and I smile.

"It's called imagination love. You see, when you read a book for an example. Don't you imagine the characters in your little head? Hm?" I tickle her slightly and she giggles.

"Yes, miss Kiara"

"See? In the same way, Matilda, whenever she reads she lets her imagination take over this making it feel like she was travelling around the world" I explain and she nods.

Just then the bell rings and I stand up.

"Alright, you guys. I'm going to give you each a book to read at home. Make sure you read at least two or three pages, yeah?" I hand them each a book confidently since I had already noted down the data in the computer before they came.

"Thank you miss Kiara" they chanted and I smiled, leading them outside.

I walk back inside and grab my phone and leave the library to go to the canteen since it's the break now.

I'm expecting to see Marianne because she's literally the only person I know but hopefully I'll make new friends soon. I walk into the almost occupied canteen and thank the lady once I get my food tray and turn around just to be invited by another person so close to making me almost knock him over but I manage to stand still.

"I'm sorry" I quickly say while he smirks.

"You're lucky you didn't ruin another white shirt" he says, his tone quite serious but his face breaks into a grin seconds later. "I'm Daniel Hill. I teach the grade nine's and ten's" he says with a smile.

"Kiara. Today's my first day actually" I say as a matter of fact.

"As what?" His smile is still prominent.

"The librarian"

"Ohh, so you're the new librarian. Isn't your name Elisa or something?" He says and I laugh.

"It's Elise" I correct with a smile.

"So how's your first day so far?" He asks

"Pretty good actually." I respond with a smile.