Chapter 47- Quiet Nights

Damon sat on the roof of the Salvatore home and stared at the stars. The night was quiet besides dogs barking, crickets chirping, and rustling of nearby animals restlessly searching for food. He thought back to his time spent with Dean, Sam, Stefan, and Elena. Damon smiled lightly as the thought of his family warmed him.

"Is there room for me up here?"

Damon looked over at Stefan.

"Depends. Did you bring any bourbon," Damon asked.

Stefan held up a bottle and smirked.

"Come on board," Damon said, inviting him to join him.

Stefan leaped up and clung to the edge of the house, then hauled himself up effortlessly. He made his way over to Damon and sat down next to him before opening the bottle. Damon took it and drank from the spout before handing it back.

"Whatcha thinking about," Stefan asked, taking a long sip, "You're not usually this quiet."

"For the longest time, I thought I knew what living felt like," Damon said, "But when you're immortal..."

"It blends together," Stefan finished, handing the bottle to Damon, "Living becomes a chore."

"Exactly," Damon said, taking a drink, "But now we have a family."

Stefan glanced at Damon, who was staring at the stars.

"I have two sons, four grandchildren, a wife, my brother," Damon said, bumping his shoulder with Stefan.

Stefan smiled and shook his head.

"Don't tell me you're getting soft on me, Damon," Stefan teased.

"I'll throw you off the roof," Damon teased back, making Stefan laugh.

Stefan took a drink from the bourbon and handed it back. Damon took another drink as well.

"Hey, guys."

Damon and Stefan looked down to see Elena, Caroline, and Bonnie.

"Is there more room," Caroline asked.

"Did you bring snacks," Stefan asked.

"We have beef jerky and candy," Elena said, holding up a two small bags.

"Come on," Damon said.

Caroline helped Bonnie up. Soon they were all sitting up there. Thankfully the roof was strong and able to support everyone.

"The stars look pretty tonight," Elena said, leaning on Damon's shoulder.

"They sure do," Damon mumbled.

"I'm gonna puke," Bonnie teased, making Damon throw a candy wrapper at her.

Bonnie chuckled and looked up at the sky. Soon Tyler, Jeremy, Matt, Enzo, and Alaric were joining them as well. They all sat up there quietly.

"It's been a while since Mystic Falls has been this peaceful," Matt said.

"Don't ruin the moment by mentioning it, Matt," Damon sassed.

Matt huffed out a chuckle.

"It's also been a while since you've been this kind as well," Matt said, "Usually you're a total douchebag."