Chapter 20- Wrong Things For Right Reasons

Dean raised his gun, ready to shoot as he was shaken awake.

"Dean, lower your weapon," Elijah said, his voice calm.

Dean blinked a few times and sat up on the couch in the living room.

"Where am I," Dean grunted, "What happened?"

"You're still in our home," Elijah said, "I was coming in to check on you... You were talking in your sleep."

"What," Dean asked, "What time is it?"

"3:56 pm," Elijah said.

"I guess I was having a good nap," Dean mumbled.

"You've been asleep for a whole day," Elijah said, "You went to sleep yesterday and didn't awaken until now."

Dean checked his pockets for his phone. Elijah tapped the coffee table, making Dean look up. He snatched his phone from the table and checked the date. Elijah was right. He's been asleep since yesterday.

"What the hell," Dean mumbled, checking for any missed calls.

He noticed he missed some messages from Sam. He scrubbed his face and called him back as Elijah sat down.

"Hey, Sammy," Dean smiled as he picked up.

"Dean, are you okay," Sam asked, "I've been texting you..."

"I know, I know," Dean said, "I've been asleep."

"Since yesterday," Sam asked a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Honestly, yeah," Dean said, "I meant to take a nap and woke up just now."

"You didn't shoot anyone when you woke, right," Sam asked.

"I almost did," Dean said, "I almost shot Elijah Mikaelson."

"Which one is he," Sam asked.

"The one who wears suits," Dean said, making Elijah smirk.

"Oh, right," Sam said, "How are things over there?"

"Okay, I guess," Dean said, "Um, I spoke with Klaus a few times. I did a job with him too. It was weird..."

"How so," Sam asked.

"I just... I don't know," Dean said, shaking his head, "I could be imagining things but I felt... Different. After that, I took an extremely long nap on the couch."

"Sounds like fun," Sam sassed.

"Right," Dean chuckled, "What about you? How are things over there?"

"Great," Sam said, "Did you, uh, speak with Damon yet?"

Dean's face fell.

"No," Dean said, his voice cold.

"Did you want to," Sam asked, "He wants to talk to you..."

"He can go to hell," Dean snapped.

"Dean..."

"No, Sam! No," Dean said, shaking his head, "I don't want to hear any excuses! As a matter of fact, why are you calling for him?!"

"Because you wouldn't have picked up his calls even if he tried," Sam sassed.

Dean went silent for a moment, knowing he was right.

"Okay but that's beside the point," Dean said, "My point is if Damon wants to apologize then he better be a fucking man and do it to my goddamn face. Other than that he can take his half-ass apology and shove it up his ass!"

Sam took a deep breath.

"Okay, I'll tell him you said that," Sam said.

"Good," Dean grumbled.

"One more thing though," Sam said, "Do you feel anything wrong with you? Like you aren't really... Human? Do you feel off?"

Dean made a face of confusion.

"What?"

"Do you have a desire to drink blood," Sam said, "Or maybe a desire to kill? Or a lot more angry than normal?"

Dean thought about it. The job he went on with Klaus showed a side he's never felt before. It felt good... But then again, why was Sam asking him all of this?

"Why are you asking me this," Dean asked.

"Because when Damon took your blood," Sam explained, "He went to see if something was off about it. He had a theory you weren't human. He went to a Siphoner and he claimed that Damon's theory was correct. Dean... I was there. Your blood triggered not only his fight or flight but also mine. I wasn't holding it. But I was close enough to feel this wave of nausea and fear after he tested it."

Dean went silent for a moment.

"Dean..."

"Yesterday, during the job I went on," Dean said, deciding to confess what happened, "Something happened. I was being choked and I heard Klaus... He was trying to protect me. He was trying to save me... I killed them. I killed the people who were hurting him and I... Sam, I shoved a whole stake into a vampire's chest like it was nothing. I felt her heart pounding as the wood grazed it and I could feel her fear... A part of me liked it... I liked that this random woman was afraid of me... What the hell is wrong with me?"

Sam took a deep breath.

"I think it's time we have a family meeting," Sam said, "I'm on my way."

Sam hung up and Dean dropped the phone. He looked at his hands and closed his fists.

"The feeling of having someone fear you," Elijah said, showing he was listening, "And liking it, is a bit natural. It's an adrenaline rush to know you have the power to make others afraid. There is nothing wrong with you, Dean. You're becoming exactly who you're supposed to become."

Dean shook his head.

"I'm not a monster, Elijah," Dean said.

"Never said you were," Elijah said, "But even if I did, not all monsters are evil. Stefan isn't, nor Caroline or Elena... Neither is your father, Damon. One thing I've learned over the years is Damon Salvatore usually does the wrong things for the right reasons. He may seem like an asshole for it. But he does it because he cares."

Elijah stood up.

"I'm gonna make some coffee," Elijah said, "Would you like some?"

"Yeah," Dean said.

Elijah went to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee as Dean pondered on what he said about Damon.