Chapter 36- Nightmares

Later that night, Dean was tossing in his bed, restless. Flashes of the visions replayed in nightmarish ways. His hands gripped the blankets tightly as his lips gave off inaudible pleas for help.

"Dean..."

He shot up with his gun raised while panting. He quickly lowered his gun at the sight of Lucien.

"Lucien," Dean said, placing his gun on his lap, "What are you doing here? Why are you up?"

"Nightmares," Lucien confessed, "From the way you were tossing about, I assume you're experiencing the same."

"I'm fine," Dean said, "It's nothing..."

"Didn't look like nothing," Lucien said, shaking his head.

"Are you okay," Dean asked, recalling he was also having nightmares.

"I have had my fair share of night terrors, believe me," Lucien smirked, "This is nothing. May I join you?"

"I thought you said it was nothing," Dean sassed.

"So did you," Lucien said.

Dean scooted over and Lucien climbed into his bed with him.

"This feels... Oddly comfortable," Lucien said, making Dean give a small chuckle, "It would feel even better if you got closer."

"Well I didn't exactly want to suffocate you," Dean said.

"If I die from suffocation because of your chest then I will die happy," Lucien teased.

"That's not funny," Dean teased back.

"It's a little funny," Lucien chuckled.

Dean smiled and got closer to Lucien, wrapping his arms around him.

"May I ask what you experienced in your visions," Lucien asked.

"It's stupid," Dean muttered.

"If it's affecting you like this then I highly doubt it is," Lucien said.

"I don't know, Lucien..."

"If it's important to you then it's important to me," Lucien said, "Just know I'm here..."

Dean went quiet for a moment, debating whether he should tell Lucien or not.

"My brother, Sam, was dying and I couldn't save him," Dean said, "And my adopted father. He was there too."

Lucien was silent after Dean spoke. He began thinking he fell asleep until he spoke again.

"I'm sorry," Lucien said, "That must've been difficult for you."

"What about you," Dean asked.

"I was human and Aurora and her brother, Tristan, were making a fool of me," Lucien said, "I wasn't strong enough to fight back. They were whipping me... It's nothing."

"Sounds like we both lived out our biggest fears if you ask me," Dean said, "For me, it's losing my baby brother. For you, it's being human and unable to fight back."

Lucien hummed in thought.

"Klaus was there," Lucien whispered, "He helped me."

"It was Damon for me," Dean said, "Maybe Klaus was an anchor to help you through it."

"That doesn't make sense," Lucien said, "He hates me... And I don't particularly trust him much."

"I know hate in Klaus when I see it," Dean said, "If he hated you, he would've tried to kill you by now. I think he's just a bit closed off. But was he always like that to you? Standoffish?"

"No, before he was a close friend of mine," Lucien said, recalling their previous friendship, "He was extraordinary to me. I used to view him as a god. He... He helped me despite everything. Even after I turned he helped me. Elijah told him he had to let me go because of Mikael. Klaus left me for his siblings, but over time I noticed there were signs he was never gone."

"How so?"

"Plenty of times, Mikael should've found me," Lucien said, "But each time something happened that caught his attention before he could. It was said to be werewolf sightings of a wolf extremely fast and powerful. Mikael would chase after it instead thinking it was Klaus. When I was struggling with finding blood, somehow a random person would stray to me. They would be disoriented and wouldn't even fight back. After a while, I knew he was still looking out for me."

Dean smiled lightly.

"You were his first friend," Dean said, "I wouldn't be surprised if he did."

After a small conversation, Dean and Lucien fell asleep. Castiel, who happened to be checking on everyone, walked into the room. Lucien glanced over at him, hearing his footsteps. He made a motion, telling him to keep quiet and pointed at Dean, sleeping. Castiel smiled and nodded before stepping out.

The next morning, Dean woke up to Lucien facing away from him. He blinked a few times, trying to figure out who was in his bed. Once he recalled last night, he smiled. Dean leaned forward, kissing his neck. Lucien shuffled but didn't wake.

"Lucien..."

"Hm."

"Got to wake up," Dean said.

"10 more minutes," Lucien grumbled.

"Well, I got to wake up, so can I have my arm back," Dean asked.

"No."

"Lucien, I need my arm," Dean smiled.

"No."

Dean chuckled lightly and attempted to move. Lucien quickly turned and pulled Dean back.

"Okay, 10 minutes then we get up," Dean said.

"15 minutes," Lucien negotiated.

"You said 10," Dean said.

"That was before you wasted 5 of them arguing with me," Lucien said, tightening his grip on Dean.

Dean rolled his eyes.

"15 it is," Dean sighed, relaxing next to him.

Lucien slowly smiled and shimmied closer to him.