Chapter 10- Vintage Cars

WARNINGS: Symptoms of Major Depression

Dean and Sam were let into the Salvatore home by Stefan.

"Where's Damon," Dean asked, looking around.

"He'll be home soon," Stefan said, "He's out with Elena right now. How was the hunt? You guys find the demon responsible?"

"Yep," Sam said, sitting on the couch next to Dean, "We took care of it."

"That's good to hear," Stefan smiled, sitting across from them, "So I have one question though. You both are friends with angels?"

"Oh, you mean, Cas," Dean asked, a smile spreading across his lips, "Yeah. He's a good friend of ours."

"Castiel mentioned someone else too," Stefan said, "A Gabriel?"

"Gabriel? Yeah, he's actually more of a brother-in-law to me," Dean shrugged.

"I'm sorry," Stefan asked, confused.

"I'm dating Gabriel," Sam said.

"Oh, wow," Stefan said, "You're dating an archangel... That's surprisingly terrifying."

"He's adorable," Sam said, waving off the terror, "Believe me. You'll love him."

"Well, hopefully, I get to meet him one day," Stefan said, looking towards the door as it opened, "Hey, Damon. Guess who's finally back?"

Dean turned and stood up to address his father. Damon nodded at him before going to the kitchen. Dean followed him quietly.

Dean had been contemplating how to speak with Damon since he left. Beforehand he thought of speaking to him as he would a friend. But as the hunt went on, Dean recognized that Damon should be addressed as his father. And the only way he knew how, was to be an obedient soldier to John. So, he thought it would be best to do the same for Damon... Just to be on the safe side.

"Hello... Sir," Dean said, unsure if it was appropriate to call him dad, "I wanted to let you know the hunt went well. I got rid of the demon and left no traces of us being there. You don't have to worry about it."

"Okay," Damon said, confused as to why he felt the need to explain that, "Good job, I guess?"

Dean gave a weak smile and quickly went to the living room. Damon's confusion turned to realization. Dean had explained his relationship with John while they were at the Mystic Grill quite a bit (he was stupid drunk so he didn't exactly know). From the sounds of it Dean was merely a soldier in John's eyes and took that role quite seriously. Damon sighed and went to the living room. As much as he liked obedience, not even Damon was sick enough to view his own son a goddamn soldier.

"Dean," Damon called out, making him stand, "Let's go for a ride. I need to talk to you."

Dean followed Damon outside. He saw him step up to his car, making Dean awe at it.

"1969 Chevy Camaro Convertible," Damon smiled, seeing the look on Dean's face, "She's a beauty, isn't she?"

"Yeah," Dean laughed, sliding his hand over the hood lightly, "She's gorgeous!"

"You should hear how she purrs," Damon grinned proudly, "Get in. I'll take you for a spin."

Dean got in the passenger seat as Damon started the car. He drove them out of the driveway. Dean realized he was right. The car drove so smoothly that it practically purred. Although there was a small growl in the engine when Damon pressed the gas.

"So you mind telling me about your adopted father more," Damon asked, after parking outside a restaurant, "Or your relationship with him?"

"Uh, I don't speak much about the relationship part," Dean shrugged, getting out with Damon, "It's easier to kind of avoid it."

"It's easier but is it healthy," Damon said, "I understand though. I didn't have the best relationship with my father either. If you need to talk, I'm here for you. Okay?"

Dean glanced at Damon with a twinkle of appreciation in his eyes. Like he was happy that Damon even cared about his well-being.

"Probably not," Dean shrugged, "I learn to suck it up though. Life isn't supposed to be rainbows and sprinkles all the time. It supposed to hurt..."

"But sometimes, it's supposed to feel good too," Damon reasoned, "Dean, life isn't meant to be all rainbows but that doesn't mean it's supposed to be thunderstorms 24/7 either. You're supposed to have those moments of happiness and satisfaction. When was the last time you gave a genuine smile? When was the last time you were truly happy to be alive?"

Dean went quiet. He couldn't remember. Most of the time, he's felt his life has been on autopilot. Sure he's had good moments involving Sam, Cas, and Bobby but there was always that small void. Something in him missing and aching to be filled.

"We're gonna do something," Damon said, "We are gonna live. You, Sam, and me and whoever the hell you want to take. We're gonna live like tomorrow won't arrive..."

"Damon, I can't..."

"You can't or you won't," Damon asked.

"I have the hunting business," Dean reasoned.

"There are more hunters in this world than just you, Dean," Damon said, "It shouldn't always fall on you or Sam all the time. For once, let someone else pick up the mess. You deserve it. Give me a month with you and your brother. That's all I ask, then I'll let you both go back to your business."

"A week," Dean negotiated.

"Two weeks," Damon argued.

"Deal," Dean said, half shrugging, "When do we start?"

"Tonight," Damon grinned, "I hope you have a suit."