Chapter 13- Payment For Friendship

Dean sat in the living room after getting his blood drawn. Sam sat down beside him.

"So, uh, you're like some great prize to be won now," Sam sighed.

"I'm not a prize, Sam," Dean said bitterly, "I never was. Not for Crowley, not for the archangels, and sure as hell not for monsters. I'm a regular human hunter, who was dealt a shitty hand, alright? That's it!"

"According to the Mikaelsons that's not the case," Sam said.

"Well, of course not."

Sam and Dean looked over to see Klaus leaning against the wall.

"You are considered a loophole in nature," Klaus said, "People think it's an opportunity to see what's so special about you that nature made an exception just for you. Dean, you are rare to come by. I've been on this earth for over 1,000 years and met a vampire child only once in my lifetime. And they weren't even born human. Something like you could raise the stakes in our world."

"What does my blood even do," Dean asked.

"It can give a higher chance of vampires birthing children of their own," Klaus said, "That's a theory anyway. It can also be used as a strong magic binder in spells. It can even go as far as curing vampirism with the right ingredients added."

"This is fucking great," Dean grumbled, "Vampire babies? Magical Binder? That's just what I needed to hear."

"We heading back tonight," Sam asked.

"We don't got another choice," Dean said.

"What if you turned," Sam asked, spitballing a suggestion.

"It could easily hide you better," Klaus reasoned, "But your blood will still be sacred. Also, you need to learn how to control your blood lust."

Dean chewed on his nails as he stood up to pace. Klaus stepped closer.

"I can help you," Klaus offered, "Teach everything you need to know about which supernatural will come for your blood. Show you how far your blood goes as means of helping beasts like myself. You'll be able to better protect the people you love."

Dean was about to respond before Damon spoke up.

"Hell no," Damon snapped, rushing in front of Dean, "You aren't going anywhere near my son!"

"Damon, you and I both know I won't be the only one looking for him," Klaus said, smirking, "Eventually you're gonna have all kinds of supernatural creatures at your doorstep demanding his blood."

"We'll figure it out when it happens," Damon said, glaring at Klaus, "But you two working together is never going to happen, understand?"

Klaus scoffed and looked at Dean for his final answer. Dean knew Damon was only trying to protect him, but he likes to be prepared for what's to come of this. So...

"What's the catch," Dean asked.

"Dean, no!"

"What do you mean," Klaus asked.

"You help me out so what do you want in return," Dean asked, "I'm not stupid enough to think you're doing this out of the kindness of your heart."

"Nothing really," Klaus said, "I help you out and we become... Friends. Close friends."

"Why would you want that," Dean asked, tilting his head.

"Being an original can come with a variety of negatives added," Klaus said, "Sometimes, it's enemies. Sometimes, it's the hunger. Other times, it's more common things... Like loneliness."

Dean chuckled.

"So let me get this straight," Dean said, "You're basically paying me to be your friend because you're lonely?"

Klaus shrugged.

"Whatever helps you sleep better at night," Klaus said.

"Wow, that's sad," Dean sassed, "But that can't be the only thing you want, Klaus. So spit it out!"

"Dean! A word please," Damon snapped, grabbing his arm.

He pulled him aside and turned to him sharply.

"What the hell do you think you're doing," Damon hissed.

"Finding a way to protect everyone I care about," Dean said.

"By working with Klaus," Damon said, pointing his way, "Are you insane?! He's not the best option to go with here!"

"What other choice do I have," Dean hissed, "You know, I can protect myself and Sam quite well. But what happens when I have to leave you behind to hunt?! Then what?! Eventually, those monsters aren't going to come directly to me. They're going to after you and the others to get me! I've seen how this plays out! So if there's a way to prevent it, I'm taking it!"

"At what cost," Damon argued, "You think he's going to just tell you about your blood over a cold beer, Dean?! No! This is Klaus Mikaelson we're talking about. The man is narcissistic and manipulative! If anything he's going to turn you into his personal bitch!"

Dean shook his head.

"You don't think I have an idea that Klaus is going to try to use me," Dean asked, "I'm not an idiot and I'm not a kid! I know how to take care of myself and this is a way to protect you..."

"STOP," Damon shouted, making everyone turn his way, "STOP TRYING TO PROTECT ME! I don't need you to, Dean! I am able to protect myself! Your job isn't to protect everyone 24/7! That's not your responsibility! If anything it's mine! I'm your father! I protect you! That's how this works!"

"You protect me," Dean asked, feeling his anger rise, "You?! I barely even know, Damon! Sure, you're my biological father but at the end of the day, you're a stranger to me! My whole life, I looked out for myself! I raised Sam and myself! ME! I DID IT! NOT YOU! NOT JOHN! NOT MARY! NO ONE BUT ME! SO BEFORE YOU COME IN WITH THAT BULLSHIT OF TRYING TO TELL ME HOW THIS WORKS, REMEMBER YOU WEREN'T THERE!"

Damon pushed him aggressively and pointed a finger in his face.

"What? You gonna hit me," Dean spat, "I've been through that a million times already! So go ahead, Dad! Hit me! HIT ME!!"

Damon's veins darkened around his eyes before taking a deep breath. His eyes changed back to normal, showing he was restraining himself.

"I know you don't know me very well," Damon said, his voice calm, "I know you think I don't truly care. I can't control you, Dean, and I refuse to do that. But one thing I will say..."

Damon got in Dean's face.

"Don't you ever tell me to hit you again," Damon snapped, "I refuse to be like my father. And I can assure you that I am not John Winchester! If you want to work with Klaus, fine! I can't stop and it's obvious you're not gonna listen to me either way. You don't view me as your dad. I understand that now. But to me, you're still my son. I'm not giving up on you. I never will. So that's your choice to work with him."

Damon walked up to Klaus.

"You hurt my son and I will hunt you down," Damon said, "Mikael will be nothing compared to the damage I will do to you."

"Is that threat," Klaus asked, stepping forward.

Damon got in his face.

"No, this is a promise," Damon said.

He walked past him, bumping his shoulder. Then Damon was out the door.