XCVI

April, 1981

Ophelia's P.O.V

It's been two months since Roger cancelled his wedding and asked for me to give him another chance. And for two months I've avoided him as much as I could. He'd call- I'd hang up without letting him speak. He'd show up at my door- I'd slam it in his face without a second thought. He'd leave flowers with little apology notes- I'd let him think I'd thrown them away in the bin. When really they were in a vase and the notes in a drawer beside my bed.

He didn't stop. Two whole months, every day without fail. I could get restraining order for this, right? But every day I feel sort of convinced and even considered taking him back. But then I think back to how I felt when he left me, and I knew I couldn't allow myself to feel that way again.

I hoped he'd just give up trying but no. He was determined. I was starting to fear opening my door or leaving incase he'd be there, begging for forgiveness on his knees.

I was listening to Stevie Nicks' new album 'Bella Donna' with a book in my hand and my feet up on the couch. (Yes ik Bella Donna came out on July but idc that's not the point☺️)

I heard a knock on the door and winced as I immediately knew who it was. I decided to just ignore it and try continue reading my book and humming along to 'outside the rain'.

But the knocking didn't stop. It grew louder and louder with each thud against the wood. "Oh, for fuck sake." I muttered, shutting my book over, after reading the same line 6 times.

I stood up and marched over to the door, my footsteps heavy against the floor, making the room shake. "Roger, fuck off- oh, shit." I slammed the door open, immediately regretting it, when I saw my mum on the other end of the door.

"Nice to see you too, sweetheart. Jesus Christ it really has been a while since you were down in Castle Combe." She said, sarcastically, looking down at my stomach.
"Sorry, mum.. Thought you were someone else.." I apologized, ignoring her comment.

"Is this Roger guy harassing you or something? Hold on, isn't he the guy you where literally in love with like what was it? Less than a year ago? Clearly you loved him a bit too much-"

"Yeah! That's him! Jesus." I quickly stopped her, my face flushing a deep, embarrassed red.
"No need to get all embarrassed. Anyway why are you pissed off at him? Or do I need to ask?" She chuckled to herself, finding herself amusing.

I rolled my eyes at the little joke, before answering her question. "I'm pissed off at him because he's a prick."

"Most men are." She agreed, with a small eye roll. "Especially your father." She added, emphasisingly.
"So, can I come in?" She asked.

"Uh, sure." I opened the door wider.
"Why are you here exactly?" I asked, furrowing my brows, as she took a seat on the couch, while I went in the kitchen to make us tea.

"I can't stop by and see my... youngest daughter?" She stopped to think about the fact I was her second born.

"Correct. Katie's older than me, which makes me your youngest daughter. Well done. Anyway it's not like you stop by very often."

"Well, it's not like you ever stop by either."

"Didn't think I was very welcome after what happened at Ian and Katie's engagement party..."

"Oh yeah, about that, they broke up."

"What?! When?!" I asked, overjoyed that they were no longer together.
"Yeah, they broke up about five months ago in December. Ian lied about going on a work trip and Katie suspected he was cheating so she left him." My mum informed me, as I looked up in thought about December. That was when he was in London when Paul exposed me and Roger. Fuck.