LXVII

"How have you been?" Katie asked, with a sickly sweet tone, pulling back slightly from the hug, with her arms still on mine.
"I've been fine, Katie." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"This is my boyfriend, Ian." She introduced, walking back to stand beside him, clinging onto his arm. She doesn't know I dated him? He never told her?

"Hi, I'm Ophelia. It's nice to meet you." I put on a false polite smile, as I held out my hand for him to shake, as if we've never met.
"Ian." He nodded, giving me a tight-lipped smile.

A while later, we were sitting out in the garden, talking about their lives and how Ian and Katie met etc. Of course neither me or Ian mentioned about our history and that we dated before he and Katie did. I remember the first time I met Ian. I was 16 and a runaway and he was 18 and working in a bar. At the beginning of our relationship he was sweet. Always buying me flowers and taking me on dates and was really patient with me when I told him i wasn't ready for sex. But as time went on, he became more and more impatient and aggressive.

He sometimes reminded me of my dad, always getting drunk, trying to pick an argument, always trying to pressurize me. The day I left him was probably the best decision I ever made. I was just worried for how he'll treat Katie when they're married.

"Katie.. Will you come with me for a moment." Ian asked, quietly over Katie's shoulder, while she looked at him, grinning and nodded. "I'll be back in a minute." She excused, conjoining her hand with Ian's as she allowed him to lead her away.

I watched as they dissapeared into the house, their hands connected, while my mum says there, looking thrilled and my dad sat beside her, out of his face drunk. I have to tell them. If I don't then fuck knows what's gonna end up happening to Katie.

A couple of minutes went by and I finally plucked up the courage to disrupt the conversation my parents were having about Katie and Ian.
"Mum, dad, I need to tell you something-" I began before I was interrupted by Katie squealing and rushing out, and jumpin up and down.

"He proposed! I'm getting married!" She screamed, as my mum stood up and threw her arms around her, screaming along with her, as Ian soon reappeared behind her, wrapping his arm around Katie's waist, as she displayed the large engagement ring to our parents, utterly oblivious to my harsh, firm gaze directed at Ian, as he just smirk at me, deviously.

꧁꧂

"I was thinking about maybe an autumn wedding. You don't usually hear people talking about autumn weddings, mostly either winter or spring or sometimes Summer, but you don't really hear much to do with autumn. What do you think, Phee?" Katie asked, turning her head to me, as we now sat in my aunt and uncle's living room, with our parents, Ian and my aunt, uncle and cousin, Lucy.

Lucy and I used to rarely get along when we were kids. She was an utter bitch. She would always argue with me, get me into trouble, blackmail me. She even outed me that I was bisexual to one of my best friends at the time when we were around 12 and I had just figured it out, and immediately told her because I couldn't tell anyone- well, apart from Katie, who was completely supportive, considering that was when she was one of my bestest friends at the time. I resented Lucy. But that never stopped me from getting drunk with her and shit talking other people I despise when no one else was there for me to hang around with.

"Phee?" Katie repeated, snapping me out of my daydream. "Hm? Oh yeah an autumn wedding sounds nice." I agreed, just to make her happy, when truthfully I couldn't care less, I was praying she'd find out what he's like and won't go through with the wedding. But my mum did say they've been together for three years, so if they haven't split up by then I doubt she'll split up with him now that they're engaged.