LXXVIII

August, 1980

Ravens wedding was in just a couple of weeks, so I was trying on my bridesmaids dress to make sure it fits and looks nice. All of the bridesmaids dresses are the same- a deep violet colour that trails below our feet.

I was in the middle of examining how it looked on me in the mirror, smoothing out any wrinkles I found, before I heard a knock on the door.
The noise startled me slightly, since I wasn't expecting anybody.

I walked over to the door, with my dress still on me, I twisted the doorknob and pulled open the door to see Paul. My smile dropped when I saw his face. I was confused to why he was here.
"Ophelia. Nice to see you. Nice dress" He said, nonchalantly.
"What do you want, Paul?" I asked, just wanting him to leave already.

"Don't be like that. Aren't you gonna invite me in?" He asked, waiting patiently.
"Depends. Why are you here?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I want to talk to you. That's all. Just have a civilized conversation." He shrugged, and I sighed, pushing the door wider for him to enter.
He looked around the place, while wondering over to take a seat on the couch, while I sat on the other couch.

"You've got a nice place." He commented, prompting me to roll my eyes at his attempt of small talk.
"Just cut to the chase, Paul. What do you want?" I asked, bored with the chat.

"Alright then, I'll get straight to the point if that's what you want. I know about your little secret." He told me, with a smirk on his lips.
My heart dropped, my frown deepened. Surely he couldn't mean..? Well, what else would he mean? But how would he know.

"What secret?" I asked, hoping he wasn't referring to my main one.
"Don't play dumb, Ophelia. You and Roger. I've known for weeks. You make it so obvious, you know. One minute Roger leaves, then you leave. I'm surprised no one else has caught on. And also I've seen you. That restaurant you went to a couple of weeks ago? I was there too, but I didn't want to interrupt your little date so I left."

"how do you not know that he was asking me for advice about his wedding and making plans?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Well 1, you looked very dressed up for just planning. 2, you went to a very expensive restaurant and 3, you kissed." He listed off, with his arms leaning on the armrest.

"Why are you telling me this?" I sighed, knowing I've been caught.
"Because. I won't tell anyone." He shrugged, making me roll my eyes.
"What do you want me to do?" I asked, figuring there'd be some sort of catch.

"What I've wanted for year's. For you to fuck off." He said, nonchalantly.
"I wanna know something first... What exactly did I do to make you resent me?" I asked.

"It's just like I said before... You're nothing but a filthy, lowlife whore. And that's all you'll ever be." He told me, standing up, and walking out, leaving me alone with his words lingering in my mind.