Anniversary

"Happy Anniversary, Justin!" I yelled into the phone. I chose to answer the phone this way because it's obviously a special day and I was really happy because of it.

"Thank you, y/n." he replied. It sounded like he was smiling or maybe laughing, probably because I'm so excited about an anniversary that isn't even mine.

"So what's the plans for today? Where's wifey?" I asked him as I sat on my bed. I had just finished getting dressed when he called. I didn't know exactly where I wanted to go yet, I just knew that I needed to get out of the house.

"Um, she's... around. I actually was calling to see if you wanted to go somewhere with me before tonight." he told me.
"Go where? You need to spend today with Jayde, not me."

"I would if she wasn't getting herself ready for tonight. C'mon, just come with me please." he said. It didn't take me long to agree. I mean, I wanted to go somewhere and an opportunity fell into my lap. That sounds like fate to me and I wasn't going to pass it up.

"Fine. Are you picking me up?"

"Yeah, I'm outside." Soon as I heard that I jumped up and went to my window. I looked out of it to see Justin's car sitting in front of my building. He looked up through his sunroof and smiled at me. I just shook my head.

"Okay, I'm on my way down." I told him before hanging up the phone. I grabbed my purse and keys before going downstairs. When I got in his car, I gave him a big hug before sitting back in my seat and putting my seatbelt on. He looked at me for a while without pulling off so I stared back at him, wondering what was taking so long.
"You look cute today. I like when you wear your hair down." he said. Afterwards he started the car and drove off.

"Um, thank you." I replied. I found myself looking down and playing with my hair as he drove. He's never really said anything about it before, good or bad, so the fact that he was complimenting it today was a little strange. I guess he's just in a really good mood today because of his anniversary. I didn't try to think too much of it.

"You wanna go get some ice cream?" he asked me. My head snapped up and I gave him a crazy look.

"Now you know I want some ice cream. Gone head and turn into this McDonald's drive-thru so I can get this dollar cone." Justin was cracking up but did as I said anyway. The drive-thru was surprisingly empty so he went straight to the menu and ordered the vanilla cone that he knew I wanted. I looked through my purse for the money to pay for it as he went to the window.

"Don't worry about it, y/n, I got it." he said. He pulled out his wallet and grabbed two dollars to give to the girl at the window, telling her to keep the change. He went to the next window and quickly grabbed the ice cream cone before handing it to me. I bounced in the seat like an excited child because, well, I was excited. An ice cream cone is the quickest way to make me happy and anyone who knows me knows it.

I didn't hesitate to start eating my ice cream cone. I took long licks to get the most ice cream on my tongue as possible. As I did, I couldn't help but notice that Justin kept glancing at me as he drove.

"What?" I asked, wondering why he kept looking at me.

"Nothing." he said. He caught another glimpse of me licking the ice cream and smirked, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"So where are we going?"

"Um, the mall?" he said, more like a question than a statement.

"The mall? Justin... please tell me you already got her gift." I told him. I stopped eating my ice cream to look at him and wait for his answer. He's a smart boy so I was hoping he'd say he already got it. There's nothing worse than searching through the mall for a meaningful gift that you should've gotten months or at least weeks in advance.