Back to the Old House - The Smiths

It had now been early October and Pearl Jam was doing great. August loved her job, probably because she got to be with Eddie the whole time. It was a great experience for her, she was able to see so many things she hadn't yet seen. They were in Los Angeles tonight and were go go go until Christmas, getting a little break. August was even allowed to bring Fluff on the road with them. She was officially Pearls Jams mascot. As they got to the bar they would be playing tonight August was setting up amps and cables for them.

"August." Eddie said and she flipped her hair out of her hair smiling.

"Hey, what's up?" She asked standing up.

"Chris called the bar and got a message from your aunt." August looked at him confused.

"My aunt left a message for Chris? What for?" She asked confused.

"Uh, why don't we just sit down." Eddie grabbed her hands and they sat on the drum riser.

"Eddie, what's going on?" She said as he began to get serious. He looked into her gorgeous green eyes and he knew he was about to break her heart.

"It's about your mom." She said and she fidgeted.

"Is she... okay?" Eddie sighed licking his lips. "Eddie.. you're really freaking me out."

"August, her heart failed when she was out to lunch with you aunt. She got her to the hospital but it was too late." August's eyes filled with tears. Eddie could feel her slowly crumble into his arms. She cried into his chest as Eddie cradled her head. After a few minutes of crying and Eddie comforting her she looked up at him her face red and puffy.

"I need to go home." She said and he reached for her cheek trying to soothe her.

"I'll come with you." He said kissing her forehead.

"No, no you won't. You have a full tour booked. You're gonna stay here." She said and Eddie's heart broke for her.

"August I'll come, if you want me to." He said wiping a tear.

"Of course I want you too but I'm not allowing you too." She said with tears still in her eyes.

"We can get you a flight." Eddie said grabbing her hand and leading her out to the bud so they could pack up her stuff.

"I cant take fluff with me. You have to take care of her, just for a few days. Please, please take care of her." She said zipping up her suitcase.

"I will baby, I will." He pulled her into him, kissing her on the top of the forehead.

"Thank you." She said.

"You're the strongest woman I know." He said picking up her chin. "Okay, we need to get you to the airport." She nodded and he grabbed her hand as they got into the cab. She stayed quiet and eddie tried to comfort her the whole time.

Once they got to the airport Eddie helped her with her bag.

"Hey" He said. She met his eyes and frowned. "I love you, you'll get through this."

"I love you too." She said hugging him tightly.

"I'll call you after the show." He said not wanting to let her go.

"Okay." She said into his chest. Eddie didn't want to let her go but he knew he had to.

"Susan is gonna pick you up and bring you to your aunts." He said as August pulled away, she nodded.

"Thank you." She said looking up at him.

"You'll be okay, right?" He said putting her hair behind her ear.

"Yes." She nodded. "You have to get to the show." Eddie frowned.

"One more hug please." He said opening his arms and August crashed into him. They hugged for about a minute and August pushed off of him.

"I love you." She kissed him. He opened his mouth to say something. "Get in the car." She cut him off wiping a tear. He nodded and got in. She watched him drive off and she walked into the airport.

•••

Pearl Jam played a fantastic show and August had a safe flight. Susan gave her a ride to her Aunts house and August really appreciated it.

"Baby," August's aunt Jane said as she opened the door for her. She reached out giving her a hug.

"Hi," August said hugging her back. "How are you?" She asked her.

"I'm doing okay, how are you babydoll?" She asked August while grabbing her bags.

"As good as I can be." August said.

"I know, I'm sorry I couldn't get a hold of you sooner. I was wracking my brain on who I could call. I'm sure you're tired."

"Yeah, I am." August said. "I'm expecting a call though so I'm gonna stay up for a little while."

"Oh okay, do you need anything?" Jane asked.

"I'm okay, thank you though."

"Okay, goodnight Auggy." She said kissing her cheek. She hadn't been called Auggy since her dad did. It all struck her again, knowing both of her parents had passed. She sniffled making her way to the kitchen to sit by the phone. She waited about 20 minutes before the call from Eddie came.

"Hello?"

"Hi baby, I'm glad you made it safe." Eddie's low and beautiful voice came through the phone.

"Yeah, I got here about 25 minutes ago."

"Are you okay? I miss you already and my heart is with you."

"Yeah, I'm okay. I miss you too. I would really love to be in your arms right now." She said starting to cry but trying to stop herself.

"Hey, baby, please don't cry. I'll see you in a few days. It will be okay please stay strong, beautiful." He said while trying to listen to her through the bar phone.

"How was the show?" August asked while getting her tears under control.

"It went really well, they really liked us."

"Well that's really good." August said. "I'm sorry but I'm really tired."

"Hey no it's okay. Get some sleep August Ivy. I love you. So much. Forever and Always Augustine."

"Forever and Always, Edward." She laughed. "I love you too. Call me tomorrow."

"I will baby, goodnight."

"Goodnight." She said before hanging up.