Cade shut his mouth at my complicated expression. He seemed to be contemplating what to say.

I think he's really strange today.

I stared at Cade without avoiding his eyes and after looking at each other for a while, he opened his mouth.

"Irene."

"Yes."

"How would you feel if your birth mother were alive?"

"......Why are you asking me that?"

It was such an absurd question.

As if the mother who really gave birth to me is really alive.

Cade gently rubbed my forehead as I frowned at the question he was reluctant to ask until now.

"I'm just asking, so feel free to tell me."

Lies.

I noticed right away. He seemed to be different from usual and this must have been the reason.

I pulled my head back and Cade's hand, which was rubbing my forehead, stopped in the air.

"Daddy, why are you lying?"

"......."

"She's alive, right?"

Cade lowered his hand and calmly acknowledged it.

"Yes. She's alive."

"...So? Why are you telling me this?"

You can just skip it without telling me. Why do you bother telling me? What do you want to hear?

I clenched my fist under the table. My eyes grew hot and red with moisture. Biting my lips, I looked at him but Cade didn't seem to waver at all.

"Because it's something you need to know."

"I'm not curious! I don't need to know!"

"She asked to meet with you this morning."

"So what did you say?"

Don't tell me you allowed her to meet me.

An uneasy heart sprouted as Cade still had an expression on his face I could not read.

"I won't care what you choose, Irene."

"...Why?"

"Because everyone decided to abide by your decision."

I was at a loss for words.

What does that mean? Are you saying you won't hold me if I say I want to go East?

I jumped up from my seat.

"Daddy doesn't know my heart, you idiot!"

Tears welled up and dripped down like rain together with erupting emotions.

"Daddy doesn't care whether I meet or not, or if I leave here or not!"

He was only thinking about me that much.

I looked up at Cade with resentment and he had a confused look on his face as if he didn't think I was going to cry.

He hastily approached to comfort me.

"Shh, stop crying."

"Uhhhhh....hic, hic, Daddy is an idiot, blockhead!"

"Yes. Yes."

Cade, who leaned over and held me in his arms, patted my back again and again. Even though it was an awkward pat, I slowly calmed down. He kept repeating his apology to me.