Chapter 21

"Arban, why are you hiwding alone?"

"I wasn't hiding."

"Then?"

I followed from behind as he walked into the garden.

Arban, who had been shy, went inside the woods, but he occasionally looked back to see if I was following him well.

The corners of my mouth twitched as he pretended to not take care of me while doing so. I guess it's not like he hates me. I thought he would hate me because we fought at the dinner table.

"Hey! There's a stone beak there."

"Yes. Irene didn't hit it!"

(Note: Sometimes, she talks in 3rd person. It's a cute thing children in western culture do when they're young.)

"What are you laughing about?"

When I laughed a bit, Arban flinched and then he quickly turned his head. He swept down all the hard-to-walk paths, making the high-grass like an easy-to-walk path of mushed stems.

Although it was said to be a greenhouse garden, the deep part seemed to have been created as an environment wild enough, to some extent that other life forms also lived in the forest-like side of the garden.

It was a bit uncomfortable to walk, but thanks to Arban's care, I was able to follow along without difficulty.

Again, I ran on the road that Arban had made for me.

"I like Arban!"

"W-what are you talking about!"

Arban, whose face was blushing, quickly stepped forward. His ears, visible through his curly black hair, were dyed red.

"Then you don't like Irene?"

"Of course! You idiot."

Huh. Do you really hate me?

I dropped my shoulders sullenly.

While I was walking vigorously behind Arban with my plump feet, water droplets splashed on my sandals.

"Hn?"

I quickly called Arban.

"Arban!"

"What."

"Look at this!"

I'm going to show you something great right now! If you don't watch, you'll regret it for the rest of your life!

As I made a fuss, Arban reluctantly turned to my side with interest.

"What?"

"Look closewly at me!"

I pointed to the puddle that was formed by watering the garden. And jumped across. Arban's expression, who had been watching the scene from beginning to end, changed to a confused gaze.

He seemed to have no idea at which point or how to react.

"I can jump puddles now! That's cool, right?"

As I crossed the puddle beautifully, I felt better again. My uncontrollable mouth fluttered as it went up. While covering both my cheeks and savoring the joy to my heart's content, Arban snorted.

"What are you talking about after jumping over one small puddle?"

"Irene did great, right!"

"You can just avoid things like that, you idiot."

"...I'm not an idiot. It's Arban who doesn't know."

Arban is not a bird, so he doesn't know anything!