95. Jalen Hurts

Shawnie's POV

After I got off of FaceTime with my therapist, I decided to stay at my friend's house. Not because I was still avoiding anything, but because I just wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet because it's something that I needed.

I stayed over for a couple hours and I finally decided to go home. I didn't plan on staying for the rest of the night. I just wanted to have this conversation with Joe because I didn't realize if he was as upset as Mercedes said, I have him sitting in limbo right now and I don't want that.

It didn't seem like anyone was home. It was quiet. I don't know where Joe and Mercedes are, the kids are with their dads of course and Ben was off today. It may be a good idea to talk to Joe if he's here but I'm going to wait a while. I just want to give it time.

I walk into my bedroom and see a huge bouquet of red roses laying in the middle of my bed. I smile as I close the door behind me. He's so sweet. I sit on the bed and see there's a note.

I'm choosing to make my situation work.

Gotta be honest, I don't get it. What is he talking about? I feel like there's a meaning to this that I should know. I'll make sure I bring that up when I talk to him.

After sitting there for a while reflecting on the relationship Joe and I have had over the last year and some change, I realized I owe him a lot more than I gave him. He deserves more from me and I'm sure he expects more as well. I messed up with this one. I'll be glad if he even lets me explain myself.

******

It had been at least an hour since I come home and still no sign of anyone. I was completely fine with that because I was enjoying my time alone in my comfortable bed with my thoughts. I got up to get a snack from the kitchen and noticed there were two glasses in my sink.

"Why would they leave these dishes in my sink? They know how I feel about this. Nobody but Mercedes." I say as I start to wash them.

Not even a minute later, I see Joe's tattooed arm wrap around my body from behind. He hugged me tight and I just stopped what I was doing.

"I'm sorry." He says in my ear. "I was an asshole. I wasn't trying to be but I see how you could get upset about—."

I turn around and hug him. "Can you meet me in the guest house so we can talk?"

"Yeah." He pulls away and looks at me for a second. "...I had more to say..."

"I smile and nod. "Okay. I'll be over there in a minute."

He steps back holding his gaze. ".... aight." He walks away.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just want to get my words together before we speak and I need to get in the right mindset. I know I'm going to apologize but I need to be able to explain myself as well. I know he thinks I'm still upset with him.

I finished washing the two glasses and dried my hands off. I took a deep breath and went to the guest house. Why I wanted to talk there, I don't know. That's just what came out.

When I got inside, he was sitting on the sofa with no facial expression. I take a seat on the other end of the sofa. It was a little awkward, but I know we could get through it, we always do.

I sat there for a few seconds wondering if he was going to say something. He didn't, so I spoke.

"Thank you for the roses." I say, with a smile.

"You're very welcome. That was a way of apologizing. I know you want to  hear it from me. So, Shawnie I want to apologize for how I acted this morning. The way I was dismiss—."