⁵⁶

"Jaerin, we need to bring this over to the track. Hendery is already briefing the newcomers about the test."

Karina called out to the girl who was rummaging through the equipment in the store room at the stadium. The girl yelled out an 'okay' before exiting the room with a timer and a whistle in her hands, helping Karina carry the cones over to the outdoor field.

"Everyone understood?"
Hendery had finished his briefing and was answering any questions thrown at him. Jaerin scanned the group of people that came for the trials into the school team, spotting Chenle at the end of the line.

"Jaerin! Faster!"
Haechan urged the younger girl, seeing that she was slowly walking through the area and was afraid that she might have seen Chenle there. Jaerin averted her eyes to Haechan, speed walking over to him with the cones in her hands.

"Haechan, can you set this up? I have something else to do."
Without waiting for him to reply, Jaerin sped off to the group of students that was waiting for their trials.

"Jaerin! Oh shit."
Haechan called, earning the rest of the friends' attention as their eyes widened, watching Jaerin strode over to the specific boy who was sitting on one of the benches.

"Oh fuck."
"Shit."
"This isn't going to end well."
Jaemin hurriedly went over, the friends leaving their stuff behind and followed just in case.

"Chenle!"
"...Jaerin?"

Jaerin stopped in front of the male, eyes burning holes into him and to say that Chenle wasn't intimidated was a lie. Eunseok, alarmed, stared at the both of them and was preparing to separate the both of them if they started to fight.

"Where have you been?!"

Chenle averted his eyes and saw the rest of the friends were already standing behind her, eyes casting worried glances at the both of them.

"I told you I moved far away from all of you to protect you-"
"No! Stop telling me the same thing you had said in the letter! I want a proper answer, not a 'to protect me'."

"I didn't want to put all of your life at risk if my parents escaped jail… it's my fault for not stopping them."

Chenle glanced away from Jaerin, the girl had tears brimming from her eyes but he had to suppress the urge to get up and hug her. The rest of the friends stared at him in bewilderment, not having heard of the letter he left for Jaerin from the girl at all.

"You could have told us, we could have faced the problem together if it happened. Why are you running away from all your problems? What happened to you telling me not to run away and face them?"
Jaerin yelled at him, stopping herself to lunge forward to grab Chenle.

She huffed when Chenle didn't voice out, wiping her tears away before giving him a sad look.
"You left me alone after all the events. You don't even know how terrible I felt because you said you would accompany me through my healing and therapy, but you broke your promises."

The girl walked away, leaving her friends that were speechless at Jaerin's words at the benches as Chenle rushed to get her. The boy managed to get hold of her wrist in the middle of the field where Jaerin was heading to the cones to continue the set up.

"Jaerin…"
"Don't talk to me."
"Please, let me explain."
"I said don't talk to me!"
"Please, Jaerin, just let me explain and we can talk this out. Please…"
"Zhong Chenle! I said don't- mmh!"

Jaerin's sentence was cut off when Chenle crashed his lips onto hers, silencing her as she trashed a bit in his arms. The kiss was rough but passionate, with Chenle pouring all his apologies and love into it as Jaerin soon gave up trying to escape from his strong but gentle hold, letting him guide the kiss, their lips molded perfectly.