⁵³

Chenle had been mindful of the time when Jaerin would be at the cafeteria or near his classes the past few weeks, almost bumping into her once outside the campus. He took note of when she usually end her classes or where she would head to, hoping to avoid Jaerin as much as possible.

Chenle strolled in the hallways, eyeing the posters that decorated both sides of the walls. It was his habit he had gotten after disappearing from his friends' lives, reading the lists of students who were chosen into different clubs and their roles. He checked the time and had confirmed that Jaerin wouldn't be here around this time, therefore he slowed down and observed the environment he had gotten used to after transferring.

He saw the poster of application for a membership or a role in the student council, reminiscing the time he joined and fought alongside Jaerin towards the position. Chenle chuckled bitterly at the memories, closing his eyes to stop the tears pricking out.

I hate that I couldn't move on from you, Jaerin.

Chenle shook his head, clearing the thoughts away as he stepped forward to scan the notice board. His hand hovered over the basketball club's poster.

Basketball club...but if I were to join, she would see me too soon.

"Chenle..."

The said male was startled, his head whipped around towards the voice, seeing the girl that was constantly on his mind standing in front of him. Tears were already brimming in her eyes at the sight of him, alive and well after two years of losing all contacts.

"Where have you been?"

Jaerin croaked out, suppressing the urge to run over and engulf him in a hug. She scanned his figure, noticed that the boy was less enthusiastic and looked worn out even if the semester had just started.

Chenle shook his head, tearing his eyes away from the girl to prevent himself from breaking the walls he had tried so hard to build. He must stay away from them to protect them, having the chance to see them doing well was already enough for him, he couldn't go back.

"I'm sorry," came out as a whisper, both of them stood in the empty hallways in silence after. Chenle attempted to walk away from the spot, but a hand had stopped him from doing so.

Jaerin had strode over to him and made him turn his face towards her, forcing him to look at her in the eyes. Her eyes were piercing through his, and it made his heart break seeing that he was the one that had made her look at him with this expression.

"Why? Why did you leave? Why did you leave me alone?"

"I'm sorry," Chenle repeated. He tried to remove his face from her hands, not wanting to hurt her by grabbing her hands away.

"I don't want apologies! I want an answer, Chenle!"

Jaerin half shouted, already crying when she felt Chenle softly holding onto her hands and pried them away from his face. The familiar warmness of his hands made her want to hold onto him, but Chenle didn't allow her.

"It's for yours and the others' safety. I'm sorry."

"Why are you avoiding us? Can't we solve this together? Why, Chenle, why? Why do you have to make decisions alone without discussing with me? With us? It was never your fault to begin with, please, Chenle. We all missed you, I missed you."

Jaerin cried, holding onto him to stop him from leaving. She was basically cling-hugging him at this point, with Chenle's arms awkwardly by his side as he debated whether or not to give in and hug her back, or just stay like that.

Eventually, his feelings won over his mind as he raised his arms, circling around the girl's back and returned the hug, letting Jaerin cry into his chest. The familiar warmth he had been missing for the past two years that never failed to make him feel butterflies every time he was with her.

"Can we talk? Somewhere private?" Chenle softly requested, hands still rubbing circles on Jaerin's back and she nodded, releasing the hug. Her hand held onto his firmly and guided him towards the stairs, heading to the rooftop. 

So, are we speeding up or are we gonna let them start off again as friends because, ya know...some people prefer to start over again as friends first after they felt hurt, hmm, I shall see 

Also, I might take a break after finishing this book since I couldn't catch up with my current studies and I have upcoming exams (yea my college is in a rush to let us finish the whole syllabus in 8 months even though we have 1 year and a half), and I might write a new story after that

Have a nice day and week ahead!