¹⁸

A yawn sounded through the room, cutting off the silence that was accompanied by the sound of typing. The lights flickered as Jaerin continued to rearrange the papers piled on her desk. Her eyebags hung under her eyes as she blinked to adjust her sight, hazy due to tiredness.

"Aish," the girl inhaled sharply as she moved the stacks of paper into a box, confirming the address before pushing it to a corner for tomorrow's delivery to another school. She tiredly rubbed her eyes, slumping back onto her seat and tilted her phone to check the time.

Her eyes widened at her screen, panicking as she hurriedly packed her stuff and dialled her brother, knowing he did be very furious for her to not pick up his calls at this time.

"Jaeh-" she was cut off.

"Jung Jaerin," her brother gritted, the sound of him rummaging on the other end passed into her phone and she slightly cowered even though he wasn't right in front of her.

"It's 12 midnight and where the fuck are you?"

"I'm still in school," her small voice replied as she heard him opening the door.

"Stay inside the compound, I'll be there in 5 and by the time I arrive, I demand an explanation." Without letting her reply, Jaehyun ended the call.

Jaerin rushed to her lockers and threw her stuff in, picking her jacket and her bag and rushed to the school gate. She hoped her brother would be easy on her since its already midnight and she still have school tomorrow.

She stood there hugging herself, feeling a bit too cold to her liking and the darkness around the campus didn't help. She shuffled on her feet and shuddered when the wind blew, begging for Jaehyun to arrive quickly despite knowing she would be getting another scolding from him and probably from Taeyong too.

A rustle was heard as Jaerin turned around, skimming the area. The lights from the hallway shone dimly onto the front porch of the school compound, limiting the sight of her surroundings.

She fished out her phone, turning on the flashlights, sight landing on the bushes decorated beside the school gates. The girl neared the bushes, trying to figure out if her ears were tricking her or it's just her mind. She bent down slightly, scanning the place.

A cat jumped out, startling her a little and she let down her guard, petting the cat. The cat nuzzled into her hands for warmth, purring at her. She was about to pick the cat up when it shrieked, leaving her hands hanging in the mid air and jumped back to the bushes.

Jaerin was puzzled, but let it go, thinking that she might have alarmed the small animal.

"A-mph"

A hand reached out to her, a cloth on her face when the girl tried to stand up. She let out a muffled screech, hands attempted to pry off the silhouette's arms that were caging her.

Jaerin struggled to break free. Despite trying to not inhale the familiar yet dangerous chemical she knew very well, her panic state had caused her to subconsciously breathe in a large amount of air. She felt her body becoming limp as she leaned towards the figure for support, her mind dazed as her eyes forced to blink open.

"Jaerin!" a voice exclaimed.

She felt the figure trapping her froze on spot for a few seconds before they fully let her go, dropping her on the floor harshly as they sprint away. Her knees and arms bruised at the contact with the floor but the drug had taken effect in her body, no longer able to feel anything.

"Jaerin, Jaerin, stay awake for me please."

A warm arms held her to their body, calling her name. She felt herself being lifted up as the person hurried on their feet before she fully slipped into darkness.

oh no...