²⁹

Today was Jaehyun's turn to stay at Jaerin's hospital room overnight. The male was scrolling through his phone, occasionally glancing over to his sister's figure in case she finally woke up.

The doctor had come in a few moments ago to check on her and ensure her IV drip was changed and she was in good condition. They told the male that Jaerin should be able to wake up these few days, then she would have to go through another check up before proceeding for her next surgery, assuring him that the hospital would help them find a donation for it.

"I wish she would wake up soon," Jaehyun muttered, his eyes closing on his phone's bright screen due to tiredness. He hasn't been sleeping well since Jaerin was hospitalised, worried for her and had to work a few part-time jobs between his classes to afford her stay in the hospital room. Taeyong also tried to help him using the same way, and Taeyong's parents gave them some amount they could afford after hearing the sad news, enough to pay half of her next surgery.

"Jae..."

A weak voice crooked out, almost inaudible in the room with the machine beeping. Jaehyun thought he heard wrong, peeking up as he forced his eyes to open. The same small whisper for his name was heard as he looked over to the girl.

He jumped, seeing the girl's head turned slightly towards his direction, then turned to the other side. Unsure if he heard or saw correctly, he put his phone into his pocket, striding over in large steps to check on her.

"Jaehyun..."

Unable to suppress his joy, he hugged the weak girl carefully, avoiding hurting the girl even though the doctor had told him her wounds and cuts all over her body had finally healed without reopening from extreme movements after resting for more than two months in the hospital. He remembered she still has broken ribs and fractured bone on her leg, which he was afraid if the girl moved more she would hurt more.

"You are finally awake!" Jaehyun mumbled, hugging the lying girl in an awkward position but he didn't care. He had pressed the button to call the doctor as he hugged her, trying to force his tears back from falling.

Jaerin weakly smiled, she couldn't move her hands to place on Jaehyun's back since she was still weak and with two months of not moving, she felt like her limbs weren't hers anymore.
"Jaehyun."

The doctor came in, checking on her and asking her a few questions, to which she replied softly that Jaehyun had to rely it to the doctor as she didn't have enough strength yet. The nurse gave Jaehyun a cup of water with a straw and a few pills the girl should take that night before both greeted a goodnight to the siblings.

"Thank god! Its been more than two months!"
Jaehyun continued hugging the girl that has sat up with the help of the nurse and the doctor with Jaerin returning the hug. Hearing that, Jaerin's eyes widened. Have I been in coma for so long? What about school? Did they find someone to take over my tasks as vice?

"Jaerin?"

"Hmm?"

Jaehyun pulled a chair beside her bed, now facing her as Jaerin rubbed her eyes, trying to process.
"What were you thinking?"

"I," Jaerin paused, feeling her throat a bit too dry to her liking and her voice was very hoarse. Jaehyun took notice of that and passed her the cup of water, letting her sip some before she talk.
"What about school? My education? Who's taking over my place to finish the task? What about Jaemin? Is he okay? Jae Eun? The others? What was happening?"

"Breathe," Jaehyun told her as she rambled.

"We informed the school, especially with the doctor's advice to do so. The school allow you to continue your education without having to retake any exams or the year since you have been doing very well in your education.
No one is taking over your place as vice, somehow surprising, but according to Haechan, Chenle turned down any application of replacing you as vice, so you are good. I wonder why he did that though."

Jaerin frowned, Chenle not wanting new applicants to replace her doesn't really concern her much, but it sound suspicious of him to do so too. She was about to open her mouth to point out that Jaehyun haven't answer the rest of her questions yet when Jaemin and Taeyong bursted into the room, followed by Karina and Winter.

"Oh my- Jaerin!"

The four instantly rushed towards her and took turns hugging her, the three young friends had tears brimming, too happy to see the girl awake after so long. Taeyong gave her a warm hearted smile as he checked on her, very glad that she was healed, meaning she wouldn't be suffering for another potential surgery.

"You are finally awake! I was so scared," Jaemin was the one that hugged her the longest, also clinging onto her after releasing the hug. The bed was big enough to fit two people if they cram in, but with how thin and fragile Jaerin was right now, Jaemin could sit with her on the bed without having to struggle.

"You have no idea how quiet and awkward it was without you around when we sat with the Dream. Well, mostly because you would snap at Chenle or just chat with Renjun, Haechan and Jaemin, but still, it wasn't the same without you."
Karina smiled at her, smoothening her hair that was messy because of shuffling around.

"Ningning kept on complaining that we should sit away from them because there's no point sitting together if you weren't there. Even Giselle unnie got bored because it was always silent whenever we sat together, other than Karina unnie passing a message to Chenle, but that's it."

Winter rant as they settled down and everyone was comfortably sitting beside Jaerin's bed. The rest chuckled at her complaints as Jaerin patted her hands.
"Sorry to put you guys in this situation."

"It's fine, what matters is that you are healthy and safe."
Taeyong responded and the rest agreed.

Just finished attending my friend's birthday party and my class. This is another update as promised ☺️