XLIX. Meria didn't say much

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

MERIA DIDN'T SAY MUCH as she changed into another dress for the evening. Daemon, watching her from the balcony, thought it was because she felt tired. He didn't think it was because of her jealousy.

She had sent him earlier to the throne room where the people were already gathered because she wanted to go and look after Viserion and Aunora first. Daemon had only laughed when Meria told him what happened, proudly saying that his children took up after him.

Viserion and Aunora were both waiting in the twins' room, impatiently sitting on the bed, already dressed in their attire for the evening. They knew her mother well enough to be sure that she wouldn't forbid them to go to the party this evening.

Although she held another little speech about responsibility of which she knew it went in at one ear and out at the other, both grinned as they ran through the hallways towards the great hall.

Music already resonated through the castle along with a soft murmur of voices.

Meria didn't stay by Daemon's side for long after finding him. She talked to some guests with him, or rather listened, but then she walked around on her own, watching her children running around and dancing with each other, or occasionally talked with Erryk, Rhaenyra or even Alicent.

It was nice but she already longed for Daemon again although he was probably only at the other end of the room. But she didn't want to be too clingy again. Although he said it didn't bother him. Would he lie? She wasn't sure.

Her eyes darted around, looking for him. He was talking with Laena. Again. Meria could only roll her eyes.

Then, an idea popped into her head. A smirk formed on her lips before she walked over to no one less than Toman Bar Emmon, Laena's husband.

"Lord Bar Emmon. Care for a dance?"

The young lord with the short, brown hair and the dark, friendly eyes raised his brows in surprise, but then offered her his hand.

"It would be my honor, princess Meria." Both smiled and went to the middle of the room where other people were already dancing. It seemed as if many followed their example though and began dancing as well.

"When do you and Lady Laena intend to leave for Driftmark again?" Meria asked while dancing with him. He was a good dancer and Meria couldn't deny that he was a handsome man. Not quite her type, but attractive.

"We haven't decided yet. I assumed we would leave right after the festivities, but I see how much Baela and Rhaena like to spend time with other children. We don't have many on Driftmark. And Laena enjoys being near Rhaenyra and her friends as well."

"She also enjoys the presence of my husband it seems." Her tone was more bitter now and Toman immediately noticed, his smile vanishing.

"I knew this dance was not a coincidence."