III. Drowning all his sorrows

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

DROWNING ALL HIS SORROWS in wine was exactly what Daemon wanted to do tonight. The lifeless, distant look in Meria's eyes still sent shivers down his spine every time it popped up inside his mind. And it angered him.

Why wouldn't she let him be there for her? Why did she have to push him away? She never pushed him away. Or was there someone else she sought out to find comfort? No...he would have noticed if Meria had become close to somebody else. Unless it happened in the last months when he avoided her... 

Suddenly, a hand was placed on his shoulder. 

"Wasn't I being clear enough?" Daemon grunted and looked up at Mysaria. 

"Oh, believe me, you storming out of the room and leaving me alone, completely aroused, was very clear." He rolled his eyes at her dramatic tone, her Lysene accent coming through. 

"Yet, here you are." He tried to put as much aversion in his look as possible to make her go away. He really couldn't stand her tonight. He thought it would change after fucking her but he couldn't even do that. Not while Meria was constantly cutting her way into his mind. What was she doing right now? Crying inside her chambers? Was she with Rhaenyra or did she resent her sister as well?

Internally cursing himself for thinking about a woman so much, he downed his wine and Mysaria filled his cup again. Then, she sat down next to him. Behind her the men of the City Watch and a bunch of other friends and women were laughing, kissing, drinking and quarreling.

"It should be a day to celebrate. You're the King's sole heir once again." Mysaria leaned forward and grinned at him, before turning around and holding up her own cup. She shouted, so that the whole tavern could hear. "Might we drink to our future?"

From every corner one could hear some men of the City Watch shouting for the people to be quiet and demanding for Daemon to propose a toast. The whole tavern waited for him and his words. 

At least these people enjoyed his company, he thought, smiling coldly to himself before standing up with the cup in his hand. He greeted the feeling of drunkenness which would hopefully make him forget those blue eyes. 

"King and Council have long rued my position as next in line for the throne." He began loudly and all people were listening to him. They were looking up to him, waiting eagerly for his next words. The people liked him and they sticked to him, no matter what happened. Unlike others. "But dream and pray as they all might, it seems as if I am not so easily replaced." Some cheered already. "The Gods give just as the Gods take away. To the King's son, the heir for a day!"

And the crowd erupted into laughter and bawling as he raised his cup.

*°*°*°*°*