XLVIII. The welcoming feast had begun.

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

King's Landing

THE WELCOMING FEAST HAD BEGUN. It was on the morning of Meria's third day in King's Landing. While all the guests, including the royal family, were chatting, eating and laughing in the gardens of the Red Keep right now, the servants prepared the throne room for the evening when they would go inside and continue the celebrations in palatial bliss.

Meria winked at Ser Erryk who was positioned underneath the archway surrounding the garden they were in now. She didn't talk to him much yet because she was too tired on her first day to do anything else than go to bed and whenever she saw him on the hallway, coincidentally patrolling in front of her chambers, Daemon managed to cut their conversations short. 

Meria stood at Daemon's side, her arm interlocked with his and the sides of their bodies pressed together. He was talking with some lord, but Meria didn't listen enough to understand what it was about. She simply liked to hear her husband's voice and to be in his presence. It soothed her. Without him, she wouldn't be so calm during this kind of social event, surrounded by people she didn't know and who probably disliked her.

After this conversation, Meria discreetly guided Daemon over to the buffet where she savored her beloved cakelets again. She tried to copy them in Pentos, but they never quite turned out like these.

Vaena was sneaking around the long tables with food and drinks, examining everything with big purple eyes. Their daughter had been their little shadow since they arrived in the gardens, always following them closely behind and sometimes even grasping the fabric of Meria's red dress.

Crouching down next to her, Meria smiled at her youngest daughter and adjusted the little pink flowers decorating her neatly braided hair. Aunora did it this morning. The sisters usually didn't talk that much and they were essentially different in many aspects but them doing each other's hair – or Vaena at least trying to – has always been something they connected over.

"Love, why don't you go and find your siblings? They must be around here somewhere they're probably with Baela and Rhaena. You could get to know them a little. I am sure they would like to be friends with you."

While Daemon didn't mind Vaena clinging to him or them every second of the day, Meria knew that one day her daughter needed to grow into an independent woman who could make her own decisions and stand up for herself. But she would never learn that if she didn't come out of her shell just a little bit. Meria also didn't want her to be lonely. Vaena had her siblings yes, but it couldn't harm to have some more friends. Baela and Rhaena were lovely girls Vaena would surely get along with. She didn't want any of her children to be as lonely as she was at their age.

"Can I come back if I want to?"

"Of course. Your father and I won't go anywhere, I promise."

After Vaena eventually left to go find her siblings who were surely in one of the other little gardens Daemon walked up to Meria again, his arm immediately finding its place on her hips like always.