XXII. Meria scurried back and forth between people

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

115 AC – five years later - Pentos

MERIA SCURRIED BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN PEOPLE and tables as if she was born for it. In each hand, she was holding three big jars filled with ale. She felt the cold liquid running down her arms after someone bumped into her accidentally, but she was used to it and just kept going to smile at the guests and served them their drinks. On her way back, her hands were free and some men used that opportunity to pull her in for a quick dance. However, she was quite practised to avoid further interactions by now and managed to get back to the bar.

"Mio is waiting for you, ." Her and employer Erina nodded in the direction of the stage, but Meria shook her head towards the black-haired woman. They've known each other for years now and although they never met outside of work Meria would call Erina her friend. A friend who constantly tried to play matchmaker.

"Not tonight, there are too many people and I think they rather want my drinks than to hear my voice." While walking behind the bar to fill some new jars, she gestured over the filled tavern that was in front of them. Every little niche and every table was full and the people who had no place to sit anywhere just stood in the middle of the room, making it difficult sometimes to maneuver between them with full hands. But Meria loved it. The hustle and bustle in here always excited her.

"And I think there is another thing they want from you." Erina leaned over to her, her brown lips forming a lopsided smirk, before nodding in the direction of a certain group of at least five young men. "See that group over there? They were practically drooling over you when you passed them." Meria looked at the group and sighed. She knew some of them already since it was not their first time being here.

"The blond one on the left is quite cute." Erina added, but Meria simply shook her head. She's had no interest in men and even much less if they were blond.

"Not tonight!" While taking up some new jars with ale, Meria went off and left a laughing Erina alone.

"You're boring!" She called after her, but was ignored. After some while and after Meria had brought her jars to the guests, she again returned to the bar, delighted to see a familiar face sitting at the front.

"Hey Yoris!" She greeted the middle-aged man. He looked a bit like a pirate, Meria always thought. His long coat reached his calves already, his dark hair was in a ponytail – she had never seen him without – and he wore a single earring in the right ear which he always played with when thinking. Like right now. Not to forget the dagger he kept on his belt visible for everyone. He was a scary man, but Meria knew that that was only an illusion. In reality, he would never hurt a fly.

"Dania, how are you?"

"Fine, and you?" Without having to ask, she put a jar with ale in front of him.