XXXVIII. If he knew...

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

116 AC – three months later

IF HE KNEW that she was hiding something from him again, he would be really, really mad. Whereas maybe he would understand her. At least that was what she told herself every time when he had asked her whether she was alright over the last two months. But she had to be sure.

Meria was standing at a table after she had cleaned it with a wet cloth. There weren't many people in the tavern tonight, but enough to exhaust her. Of course, when she was simply standing there and trying to take deep breaths, that wouldn't go unnoticed.

"Hey."

She flinched and turned around, her grip around the cloth in her hand tightening.

"Hey Mio." She forced a smile, but Mio knew her well enough to see through her façade.

"You look pale. And you've seem so lost in thought. Is something bothering you?"

"No, no, everything is alright. A slight headache, that's all." He didn't seem convinced but who was he to blame her for being secretive? It was not like they had been the best of friends lately.

"I know we've not been on the best page the last months, but...you can talk to me. I hope you know that. And if it has anything to do with that blond guy, if he threatens you or anything..."

"Maerrio, please..." She shook her head in frustration. Daemon and he didn't meet since their little brawl and she had hoped that maybe both men could have forgotten about that and their discrepancies by now. Although Meria could understand that Mio had reacted so hostile and knew that it was only to protect her, she would always take Daemon's side and he knew that because otherwise he would never let her go to work again if it meant seeing Maerrio.

"First of all, his name is Daemon and no, he is not threatening me at all. He makes me happy, very, very happy."

He scoffed and crossed his muscular arms in front of his chest. "You don't look like it."

"A headache as I said." Rolling her eyes, she walked past him towards the bar, hoping for him to leave her now. Of course, he didn't. No, he followed her and while Meria started to help Erina pouring some drinks, he leaned on it with his elbows.

"Erina, tell her she looks more dead than alive."

"Charming, really." Meria mumbled annoyed.

"He's right though. You seem tired. If you're not feeling well, you can go home. Maerrio can help me instead."

"What?" The man asked in shock.

"I don't think that would be a good idea." Meria said immediately and even though all of them knew it to be right, Mio reacted offended.