XXV. The pain in her limbs faded

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

111 AC – five years before

THE PAIN IN HER LIMBS FADED gradually when Meria woke up. She turned her head to the side and squinted her eyes to get rid of the blurriness. It must have been a few hours, but her whole body still felt sore and exhausted.

When she saw Helaya sitting in one of the chairs and occasionally looking into the cradle next to her and watching over the little girl in there, Meria smiled. Helaya was knitting. A hobby, which Meria still couldn't find the meaning behind. The older woman said it would come with age, but honestly, Meria doubted that. Helaya was around twenty years older than her and her light brown hair already showed some grey strands, much to her husband's amusement, because he had none yet although Syren was around the same age as his wife.

Meria tried to sit up and groaned in pain, which immediately pulled Helaya's attention over to her. She quickly put her knitting stuff away and stood up to fill up a glass of water and offer it to Meria.

"Here, drink. You lost a lot of blood and water giving birth."

"Thanks." Meria gratefully took the glass and drank it in one go, realizing that she really felt dehydrated. When she put the glass away again, she looked again over to the cradle. "How is she?"

"She is fine. Asleep right now." Helaya smiled.

They talked for some while about banal stuff, each of them avoiding topics they knew they needed to discuss. Helaya was the one who would start eventually.

"We have dreaded this topic since you are here, but now that your girl is born I just feel obligated to ask about her father?"

Meria pressed her lips together, fumbling with the blanket over her.

"Did something happen to you that led you to be with child? I mean...did someone force himself upon you?"

As an answer, Meria quickly shook her head. "No, no, that was not the case." She let her head fall back and sighed. "But it is complicated. I understand your concerns and that you don't want me here anymore, Helaya. I am beyond grateful for your help and hospitality and promise, I will leave as soon as possible."

"No, no, no, I will hear none of that, young lady. You have just given birth and you became mother for the first time. Of course, Syren and I, we will continue to help you. You shall know that you and your daughter can stay here as long as you want."

"I cannot accept such kindness."

"Please do. You know, my husband and I, we can't receive children of our own and we love to have you here, the both of you now. Be our guest at least for some months, until you are completely recovered from birth and then we'll see, alright? And if you ever need someone to talk to about her father, for example, I'll be there to listen."