VIII. Daemon was well aware of her stares

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

DAEMON WAS WELL AWARE OF HER STARES, although Meria tried to be subtle. She stood at the table with food and glanced over to Daemon who talked to Viserys, Alicent and Rhaenyra.

He couldn't stop smiling to himself after he caught her staring at him. They were in the gardens, celebrating the won war.

Meria watched how Rhaenyra walked away from them, looking really annoyed. Alicent soon followed her and they sat together and talked. Meria could go to them, but eventually used the opportunity to approach the King and his brother.

"Congratulations on your victory, my Prince." Their eyes met and there was a sparkle in his obscure lilac orbs.

"Thank you, my Princess."

Her eyes widened for a moment and she looked at the King. It was not her title, he should not call her that, escpecially not in front of the King, but Viserys was already too drunk to think much about it. He also did not find it strange or even noticed at all that Daemon reached for Meria's hand, brought it to his lips and placed a featherlight kiss on her knuckles.

It made her cheeks turn crimson and she quickly glanced over to Viserys again, but he was distracted by someone else.

"Could we have a word?" She asked quietly.

"Of course. Brother..." Daemon waited until the King looked at him. He still held her hand in his and Meria was very aware of his warm touch. "You'll have to excuse us."

They walked away from the main yard alongside a path that would lead to another yard eventually.

"I hope you don't mind me stealing you from your talk with the King, my Prince."

Daemon smiled to himself. "I certainly prefer this over hearing drunken tales from my brother about our childhood." Meria also smiled. "He is angry with Rhaenyra. Why is that?" Daemon asked her and earned a sigh as first answer.

"He sent her on a tour in order to find a suitable husband, but she called the tour off earlier. Without a betrothed."

"You went with her?"

Yes, because I hate it here and would use every possibility of getting out, Meria wanted to say.

She simply nodded. Daemon noticed that she pondered about saying more to that. Years ago she had talked to him about everything, or at least about more than to anyone else. She had trusted him with her life and they had always been honest with each other. He wanted them to go back to that time, he wanted her to talk to him openly again.