VI. Ignorance

*°*°*°*°*

*°*°*°*°*

109 AC - THREE YEARS LATER

IGNORANCE. Meria never thought she could hate it that much but when it came to the people ignoring the fact that there was a war going on and people were dying then she felt nothing but anger. 

Talya, her friend and spy at court kept her up to date and told her everything she overheared about the war at the Stepstones. Daemon's war. 

He and Corlys Velaryon fought at the Stepstones without the King's consent for more than two years now. King Viserys didn't even consider to send help or at least acknowledge that Dameon, the brother he banished from court three years ago, defended his kingdom.

Instead, he celebrated his son's second name day. Yes, Viserys finally had the son he had wished for for so long. Not with Laena Velayron though. He took no less but the Hand's daughter as his wife, Alicent. Meria was not sure how she felt about it. They had never been close friends, so she was not exactly bothered. But it was more than obvious to her that it was the Hand's scheme all along to marry Alicent to Viserys. He lusted for power and the worst was that he had more of it since his daughter's wedding.

Aegon was their first son together. Pregnancy and birth were easy and Alicent was with another child already.

Meria was forced, as well as Rhaenyra, to attend to the royal festivities for their "brother" and the hunt afterwards. However, Meria spent her time wandering around the tents and near the forest. But only until Ser Erryk, by now her personal sworn guard – at least inofficially – walked up to her.

"The King requests you, Meria."

She sighed while enjoying the beams of sunlight on her face. One could notice that her skin had become less pale over the years because she spent most of her time on the back of Silverswing nearer to the sun than to the ground.

Not wanting to go but knowing she did not have a choice she made her way over to the biggest tents of them all. Inside were lots of people. Most of the women were here, drinking wine and eating cake while chitchatting about the probably least important matters in the world. Meria walked up to the buffet to nab some of the pastries and fruits.

She let her eyes wander around, seeing the King adoring his son Aegon with some of his friends. At least until someone walked up ton him. Tyland Lannister, the Master of Ships, cleared his throat behind him and Viserys turned around, furrowing his brows.

Meria carefully stepped closer to hear what the men were saying, but pretended to be concentrated on the food in front of her.

"Your Grace, I bring urgent news from the Stepstones. The Crabfeeder has dug in the siege on Bloodstone while his men sabotage our fleet under the cover of dark." Tyland reported to the King but Viserys did not seem to care at all.