XLI. No one could stop it

I tried something different with this chapter to move the story forward a bit. It is really long and a lot is happening and I hope you like it!

*°*°*°*°*

NO ONE COULD STOP IT: time. It flew by like a leaf in the wind. Meria and Daemon tried their best to enjoy as much time with their children as possible, raise them and see them grow. Seeing how your own children develop into those unique individuals each one with their own personality, their own dreams and wishes, was the greatest part of being parents. But it happened fast. Too fast.

A year after she gave birth to Daelion they had welcomed twins in their family, but the way until then was long and beard many, many obstacles.

Had Meria known earlier that she was with child again, she would have connected her odd feelings, her scary dreams and wary visions with it. She remembered all the nights of doubt too well.

It began in the first weeks of her pregnancy when she would wake up in the middle of the night after way to vivid dreams about Daemon sleeping with other people. More than once did she sat upright on the bed next to his naked body and did not enjoy the sight like usually but wondered about how many women before her had already done that. Questions plagued her mind. How many people had he laid with? How many of them had hoped they were special? How many had already clung to his body? Those were old fears, she knew, and part of her was aware that Daemon loved her and only her, but those dreams messed with her head and she never spoke it out loud fearing what he would say.

It became rather frequent that she left their shared bedroom and spent the rest of the night in her children's chambers, unknowing that this would push him to things which would only fuel her doubts further.

He was gone during the nights too, but not to another room, no, he spent his time in the city.

"The bed was cold when I woke up this morning." Daemon incidentally mentioned while he was changing into different clothes and Meria fumbled at her earrings.

"I couldn't find rest last night and didn't want to bother you."

"It wouldn't have been a bother. You should wake me up next time." He replied, sounding displeased with her answer.

"You need your sleep, especially since you've been up rather late lately...wherever you've spent your evenings." Her tone was taunting which made him scoff.

"As I told you before, I met old acquaintances from my travels in earlier years in Pentos."

"Sure." It was a miracle to him why it bothered her so much now.

Of course, it was hard for Meria to believe that he only met with old acquaintances and not with former lovers or simply some whores. One nightmare even made her consider that perhaps Mysaria travelled after him and now lived somewhere in the city where he would visit her now and then.

Syren unconsciously worsened everything by telling her about how he saw Daemon paying a foreigner for something. He never meant any harm, but couldn't keep it to himself any longer, also noticing the thick tension between Meria and Daemon. Now having heard that he really kept something from her, Meria was intrigued to find out what it was and asked Syren to keep an eye on Daemon when he was out while she had to watch the children. Syren tried to persuade her into talking to him first, but she insisted that he wouldn't tell her the truth. In her dreams he always denied everything.

Someday all this tension and their suppressed emotions naturally lead to a fight. It happened in the morning after Daemon was gone all night and had come back slightly drunk. Syren had informed her about where he had spent his night and she wasn't exactly happy to hear that.