Chapter 49

Our last week in Georgia was seemingly uneventful other than us watching my old phone blow up with texts and voicemails from Jess. If she'd tried to show up at the house, we weren't aware but I couldn't put it above her. We'd kept my new phone number from everyone other than our closest friends and family members to minimize the risk of anyone sharing the number with Jess somehow. I wanted to listen to the voicemails and read the texts but Chris never left me alone long enough for me to get to the phone. The first time she'd left a voicemail I tried to listen to it and Chris had told me it wasn't a good idea so I didn't press further. The plane ride to LA was surprisingly okay and we easily settled back into life here. I only wish it was warmer outside so we could use the beautiful pool and enjoy the view more but it was early February and while it was not nearly as cold as Boston but it was still too cold for me. Chris was already busy with his new role and we'd spent quite a few nights together running his lines. Jade has been over most of this first week back in LA and we've been enjoying the time together. She's also been helping me shop for things for the nursery and she suggested we change a room here to be the baby's room. We were going to try to get it designed and filled without Chris knowing since he's so good at surprising me. Chris has taken the matter of security very seriously and there is always a team nearby to make sure we're safe. We have a full set of cameras in our house here that only we can see since there is one in our bedroom. I guess we're both on edge about her and how far she's willing to go. Today I was home alone and Chris would be home shortly but I was feeling uneasy and I missed him. I was pacing around the house, wishing I had anything to even clean but he'd had the house professionally cleaned before we arrived. My phone going off offered me a bit of relief from my impatience. I expected it to be one of our moms but it was the police department in Georgia. "Hello?" 

"Hi, I was hoping to speak with Cas Evans."

"This is her, how can I help you."

"I know your husband requested that we give all information to him but we were unable to get ahold of him and we have reason to believe you may be in more danger than we'd thought."

"What do you mean?"

"Your sister was admitted into an asylum when she was about 13."

"What for?"

"Hysteria, insanity, obsessive and destructive behaviors. She was obsessed with you and your life. Her aunt put her up for adoption shortly after that and she remained in that facility until she was 17 and adopted. The records are sealed so it'll take time to find out who adopted her but apparently a few years ago when you both would've been 23 she was admitted again and was released after she made a lot of progress the next year. Her obsession continued and we found proof of that in her residence in Boston."

"Her what? She lived in London I thought."

"Yes, so the authorities in London were able to search her apartment there and found more than enough proof there but also found the record of an address in Boston as well as one in LA. We're trying to get a warrant for her address in LA but California makes it difficult sometimes. She was arrested for breaking and entering a movie set last year, one you were working on, and the authorities returned her to the asylum but she escaped. They have been looking for her in London for a while."

"So she's obsessed with me but why would that mean she's dangerous?"

"Some of the things we've found show that she is not only obsessed with you but she intends to steal your life. There are all kinds of plans, proof that she broke into your home here, proof of her stalking you for years, and proof of a plan to end your life."

"Wait, she's been planning to kill me?"

"It seems like she's tried many times."

"When? Does it say when or how?"