Chapter 28

Chris seemed to be kind of quiet for the rest of the time Scott was over although he was still just as touchy and attentive with me. We played board games together and I talked Scott into playing Mario kart with me for a while. Chris did join us after a few races but he never paid attention to the screen so he was always crashing. Once the front door closed behind Scott I got off of Chris' lap without a word. "Where are you going?"

"I was hoping I could talk you into playing the piano for me since you don't want to talk about whatever happened with you and Scott earlier."

"I'm trying not to add any stress to you and the baby right now."

"Well, it stresses me out more to not know what's going on with you. Are you going to make me play the piano myself?"

"You're perfectly capable aren't you?" He teased as he stood up and started following me

"I am but I love when you play for me, it's one of my favorite things."

"You're better at it than I am."

"I don't care who's better, I just want to spend a little bit of time being present with you. Playing always gets you out of your head a little. You don't have to but I'd enjoy your company at least." I stood next to the piano while we walked toward me, hoping he'd pull me into his lap

He sat down on the bench and reached for me to pull me into his lap before kissing my neck. "What do you want me to play?"

"Anything."

"I'll play for you if you sing along."

"Deal."

He started playing a soft melody and I immediately recognized it as When I Look at You by Miley Cyrus. That was the song that kind of sparked my love for singing to return and it was one of the first times he really heard me sing. I happily sang along while I leaned against his chest and just took a minute to enjoy this little bit of peace we'd found again. "Thank you, Cassie." He said softly as he nipped at my ear when the song finished

"For what?"

"For knowing what I need without me even saying it. I didn't mean to be so in my head but Scott just makes a lot of good points and I'm just processing."

"Well, I'm always happy to listen if you want to process it out loud." I turned in his arms to kiss his cheek

"You don't need my extra stress, you worry about growing our baby."

"Listening to you or helping you with your issues doesn't stress me out. What stresses me out is not knowing what's going on with you. Chris we're going to have a baby in just a matter of months and we both have to be ready. More than just physically ready, emotionally and mentally as well. I can't do any of this without you. I love you more than words. You, Dodge, and this baby are my everything as much as we are yours. Never forget that."

"I won't forget that. How about we do something tomorrow, maybe a date?"

"Can we do something with our family, Chris, Elsa, and the kids are still in town and I'd like to see them again."

"Of course, we can spend time with family, we can take them to the aquarium. I'm sure the kids will love it."

"That's perfect, thank you. I'm not sure if you're mad at your brother or not but I'd enjoy your sibling's company as well and your mum's."

"I'm not mad at him, rather the opposite but he makes me think about things I'm not always ready to think about. Sometimes I think he knows you better than I do." His shoulders slumped and he let his hand fall from the piano to my lap.