Chapter 30: The Talk

"Chhaya."

Hearing her name, Chhaya turned around. She knew who it was and she knew he would come out to talk to her. She looked at him as he looked her way like she was the salvation that would save him from his demons. She was his knight in shining armour and he was the damsel in distress. He needed saving, it was only so long that he could keep himself sane by himself.

"Yes?" Chhaya whispered.

Rohan took a small step closer and Chhaya took a big step back, her eyes gazing into his, searching for the truth, the regret and the desperation. And to her surprise, she could see that and a lot more.

"Mein- Mujh- mujhe pata nahi ki mein kya kahun, kahan se shuru krun. . . .Mein bata nahi sakta ki mein kitna sharminda hun. Jis din tum chali gayi, woh maine kaise . . . . . Mein tumhe deserve nahi krta . . . . Pr please! Please mujhe sirf ek chance aur de do. Abh meine tumhare liyak hun, bas ek baar yeh sabit krne do. Phir agar tum kahogi toh mein chala jaaounga. Aur dubara kabhi wapis nahi dekhunga. Please, bas ek cahnce."

(I- I don't know how to say this, where to start. . . . I can't tell you how ashamed I am of my doings. The day you left, how I spent it. . . . I don't deserve you. . . .But please! Please give me another chance. Let me prove to you that I'm worthy of being with you now, just once. Then if you tell me to leave, I will. And never look back or bother you again.)

Chhaya looked at the tears dripping down the man's eyes, which she soon found in her own eyes. She doesn't know what to say or what to do. Her dilemma gets worse as she tries to hold herself together. Rohan waits impatiently as Chhaya thinks over her next words, until finally, she does say something.

"Mein kaise maan lun?"

(How can I believe you?)

Rohan takes a small step forward, "Mein mana lunga! Issi liye toh aaya hun. Mera vishwaas karo."

(I'll make you believe! That's why I'm here. Please trust me.)

Chhaya shook her head, "Tumne mujh pr vishwaas kiya tha?"

(Did you trust me?)

Rohan closed his eyes, the scene flashing before his eyes. He could hear the pain in her voice as she said that and he wished he could just turn back time and give his old self a punch in the face for the way he behaved.

"I know what I did Chhaya. And I regret it! I regret it so much. I know this talk would not have been easy and you probably don't even want to talk to me right now. And I'll leave you alone, but before I go I just want to say that I . . . I went to therapy. . . . To fix me. . . You probably don't care. But I wanted to fix myself. . . .for you."

Chhaya's eyes widened at the revelation, she didn't expect that completely blind sighted by this. Before she could say anything further, Rohan pulled a small journal from behind him and forwarded it in her direction.

"All my feeling are in here, every single secret that I've kept ever since I was a child. It's my whole life. And I'm giving it to you. It's in your hands and I want you to read it, get to know every inch of my being. If after reading it, you still don't think I deserve a chance, I'll leave. But please read it."

Chhaya cautiously takes hold of the journal as if it was the most valuable thing she had ever set her eye on. Just as she does, Rohan smiles her way before taking a step back. Drinking the sight of her for the last time before walking away. Both of them needed some time to breathe and process their chat. Chhaya sat on the swing in the garden and held the journal to her chest. She never expected to hear what she just did. She knew when she saw Rohan today that they were going to have a talk, but she never expected such remorse. She never thought Rohan would ever ask for another chance.

Rohan walked away and went straight to his room, he sat on his slightly uncomfortable bed, eager for the next day. A bright, sunny day that could bring new hopes into his life. And as Rohan hoped, the next morning was bright and very sunny. The chirping of the birds outside his room woke Rohan up and he stalled outside in search of a bathroom. 

Soon everyone gathered in the courtyard, little girls and boys gushing around the decorations as they waited for their favourite didi. Soon Chhaya walked in with a huge surprised look on her face. It was s different story that she could hear them from outside. 

Chhaya brushed past Rohan, not sure if she wanted him to stay or not. Rohan gazed at the beauty, as she smiled and giggled with the kids. How she held onto Meesha and Vihaan as they helped cut her cake, feed all the kids a bite, smile as she opened the presents, read the cards and run around after the kids as they played hide and seek. Everything he had gotten her, Rohan had put Meesha or Vihaan's name on. He knew she wouldn't accept anything from him right now. However, he did have a small box in his pocket, something only he would give her. 

Not wanting to ruin her day, he kept his distance. Tried to stay out of her line of sight as much as he could. And that's how he spent the day, admiring his beloved from a distance. Tomorrow, however, he would be on his mission. Chhaya knew that he wouldn't go down without a fight, and she was prepared for it. She knew she only had to follow her heart like she'd done her whole life. And if her heart said this wasn't the person for her, then that would be the end of them. 

Only tomorrow knew the answer to that. But if he was going to put up a fight, then so was she. He would have to remove every fear, every insecurity, every question from her mind before she handed him her heart. If he wanted her, if he wanted her heart, her forever. Then he would have to work for it.

Hey Guys!

So as you know I'm on my placements. Including this week, I still have 5 weeks left. Which will mean the updates are much slower. I have all the responsibilities of a teacher, which are HEAPS!!! Sorry about that, but it is what it is.