Chapter 8: Her Claim

Neel had told everyone that they would have to stay home today to make sure Chhaya feels welcome and can become familiar with their huge family. The family spent most of the day together but after lunch, decided to rest a little. Meera and Shourya decided to take their twins to the park nearby and Aarav and Riya decided to join them. Rohan helped his grandmother to her room before heading upstairs to his father's study to go over some business deals.

Chhaya accompanied her mother-in-law to her room, she was confused as to why she didn't share a room with Neel. Once inside, Chhaya hesitantly asked the burning questions she had about her husband. And when she found out about everything that took place, she was hugging the woman into her and gave her the tightest hug she could muster. She didn't realise that all of this had happened with Rohan. She could imagine a heartbroken man wanting to rectify his mistakes so desperately. 

She felt sorry for him and something stirred in her heart at the thought of her husband's defeated love. After spending some time with her mother-in-law and filling her gloomy room with laughter. Chhaya got up to leave, "Aunty, aap abhi aaram karo. Dinner ka time hone wala hai, mein dekhti hum aagar kissi ko meri madat ki zaaroorat ho."

(Aunty, you take some rest. It's almost time for dinner, I'll see if I can help)
"Aunty? Bete maa bolo na! Mujhe hamesha se ek beti chahiye thi."

(Aunty? Call me maa! I've always wanted a daughter.)

"O-okay m-m-maa."

Chhaya moved up the stiar to her bedroom before she goes down to help with dinner, on the way she bumped into her husband. Deciding that being rude an hostile to each other wasn't going to help anyone's case, she followed him into his study to have a chat. Rohan looks back at his wife following him and he turns around to address her. 

"Kya hai?"
(What is it?)

Chhaya held back a snarky comment and smiled overly sweetly at him and she took a seat at his desk.

"Woh mein ke keh rahi thi ki kal humari shaadi hui hai aur aaj mere pehli rasoi  thi, aur aapne, mere pati hone ke naate, mujhe kuch bhi nahi  diya! How rude!"

(Well I was saying that just yesterday we got married and today was my pehli rasoi.And you, as my husband, haven't gifted me anything! How rude!)

"Jab mein tumhe patni hi nahi maanta, toh gift kis khushi mein. Aur tum sab ek jaise ho. All you women. Jahan mauka milta hai, wahan shuru ho jati ho. Priya bhi aisi thi aur abh tum. In fact, meri maa bhi kabhi aesi hi thi. Sirf gifts aur cheezon ki ehmiat hai tumhare liye. All you women are the same. Materialistic!"

(When I don't consider you my wife, then why would I get you gifts. All you are the same. . . .Where ever you get a chance, you pounce at it. Priya was like this and now you. In fact so was my mother. All you want are things and gifts."

She didn't realise that her joke would take a turn like this, that was not her intention ast all. She kicked herself for not thinking and causing more problems between the two.

"Ro-han, mera woh matlab nahi tha. I was just-"

(That's not what I meant.)
"Huh! Now you back peddle after I called you out. Tum middle class ki problem hi yahi hai. Sab paise ke piche bhaghte ho. And I hate people like that. People like you!"

(All you middle class have this exact problem. You all run after money.)

Chhaya flinched at the tone and stood up, tears formed in her eyes as she looked at her husband. Is that what he thought of me? 

"You don't know a thing about me! You don't know what my life has been like! Just because of one greedy woman, you put us all in that box. Priya ne tumhare ghar mein chori ki thi, meine humesha aapne haq ka liya hai. Mujhe sirf aapni mehnat ki kaamayi raas aati hai! Aur tumse haq se kuch bhi mang sakti hun kyunki tum mere pati ho! Chahe tum mujhe apni biwi maano, chahe na maano, saach toh yahi hai, ki meri maang mein sindoor tumhare naam ke hai, mere gaale ka mangal sutra tumhari nishani hai! Tumhare dil se aapne liye bina wajah ki nafrat mein mita kr rahungi."

(Priya stole from you home, and I have always worked hard for everything, I can only digest my own income! And I can ask anything from you as it's my right, because your my husband! Wether you accept it or not, but this vermillion is in your name, this mangal sutra is evidence of you as my husband! I'll remove this hatred you have towards me."

Rohan watches his wife harshly stand up and walk up to him as she said what she had to say. By the time she was done, she was breathing heavily, causing her chest to brush against his, her eyes had turned red due to her anger mixed with tears as she glared into his eyes and her finger pushing into where is heart is, like a silent hint that this is what she was going for.

When she was done she pushed her finger in deeper into his chest as if she was going to drill a hole before shoving him aside and rushing out. From today, there was one thing she knew about this relationship and that was she was going to make it work. They might not ever fall in love like she had dreamt about for herself and her futre husband, but she was going make sur that her husband respected her, gave her the rights a wife deserves as well as fix his midset about women in general. Another thing she was sure of was that this bickering was not going to stop anytime soon, the man needed a taste of his own medicine. However, at the same time, he needed to be taken care of, through acts of love. And she was going to be the one to do that.

After Chhaya left, Rohan fell into his chair and tried his best to concentrate on his work, but what Chhaya had said was running through his mid. The determination in her eyes, they way she had challenged everything he had said. Her tone. Her tears. Her confidence. Her claim. On him. On this relationship. And how serious she was. He knew things were about to change and he knew he had to prepared for it.

What he didn't know was the storm that waiting to enter their lives. The storm that might push them further apart. Or might bring them closer. The storm that will test their sacred bond of marriage, that was already hanging off on the thing string of Chhaya's mangal sutra.

So what do you think?

Is it getting intense?

What are your predictions?

Leave you thoughts so I know what my readers are thinking!

Also remember to vote, comment and share the story!
You comments on things that I write guide me to know the kinds of things you like to read, so please, please, please comment on the things you find cute, sweet, funny, annoying!

Love you guys! See you in the next one!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Here are your questions:

"What's your favorite season? What do you love most about it?"

"Who is your biggest supporter in life? And what would you say to them right now?"