Chapter 18: Love or?

Once outside, Chhaya shivered as the cold wind blew her hair. She hugged herself closer for warmth until she felt herself being pressed into her husband's side as he draped one side of his coat around her and pulled her closer. She didn't even realise when he had slipped out of his coat a threw it over their shoulders. Rohan smiled down at her as she tucked herself under his arm. 

"You don't have to."
"I want to."
Chhaya smiled at his answer before putting her head on his chest as the lazily strolled the street before reaching the beach, they were completely indulged in their silly conversation that they didn't even realise they'd been walking for half an hour. 

"Aur jab mujhe realise hua ki tum wohi ho jispe maine coffee girayi thi tab toh I was so shocked."

(And when I realised that you're the same guy I spilled my coffe on I was so shocked.)

Chhaya giggles recalling that memory, before asking him a burning question, "pr uss din tumne mera naam kyun pucha tha? Jab maine tumhe baataya ki mein tumhari company mein interview ke liye jaa rahi hun?"

(But why did you ask for my name when I told you about my interview at your company?)

Rohan gazed down before pecking her lips, "Because mein tumhara interview cancel krne waala tha. You were such a clutz, bumping into me twice."

(I was going to cancel your interview.)

"Hey!"

"Pr nahi kiya, because I thought ki kyun na dekh hi lun ki kaisi jaati hai interview."

(But I thought why not see where the interview goes.)

Rohan gazed down at her, his eyes burning with emotion too challenging for Chhaya to identify, "and I'm so glad that I did. Meri zindagi ki saabse best decision thi woh."

(It was the best decision of my life.)

Chhaya felt the tingles in her body creep up to her cheeks and turn into hues of pink, showcasing her shyness to her husband. He found the huge doe eyes, pink plump lips and tinted cheeks the most enchanting sight in the world. He rubbed the flustered cheeks tenderly with the pads of his thumb whilst taking in every inch of her face.
"Oh, Chhaya. I don't know what it is about tonight, but if were to die right now, I would die a happy man knowing I had this night with you. Knowing this sight of you looking at me would be the last thing I ever see. Knowing that the last breath I ever take would be with you in my arms. Knowing the last thing I ever tasted was these sweet lips of yours. I. . .I can't explain to you what it is you do to me and when this happened. But I can tell you one thing, I was never like this before. I've changed, and I like it."

Chhaya stopped breathing for a second after hearing her husband's words, she stared at him. The two gazed into each other's eyes under the moonlit street, surrounded by the waves of the ocean and the cooling breeze. The two were so lost in each other that everything around them was a blur. Not until the sound of the street food vendor fell into Chhaya's ears, she snapped her eyes in that direction. She squealed and tugged Rohan in the vendor's direction before asking for a plate of gol gappe

"Chhaya, we just had dinner."

"I know! But look gol gappe! Tumhe nahi khaane thik hai, pr mujhe toh khaane hai."

(You don't want them, fine. But I will definately eat them.)

Rohan shook his head before taking hold of the plate. Chhaya pouted in his direction, thinking he was going to get them to share HER plate of gol gappe, but broke into a huge grin when he forwarded the heavenly treat her way. She filled her mouth with the treats one after the other, Rohan wiped the side of his wife's mouth as she grinned back at him. 

Chhaye then took one to feed him, he seemed not too sure, but seeing Chhaya's insistence he complied. This is what he had always wanted in life. Having a busy father and a mother who never prioritised him, Rohan had always craved attention, loving it whenever he could get it. That was why he was head over heels in love with Priya as she gave him all the attention he had craved. He was blinded by it so much that he overlooked all the red flags that were being waved his way. 

That child's desire and hunger for attention lingered into his adulthood, and it's still here. He fell in love quickly, and he held grudges like a child. He was easily hurt. And it was no different now with Chhaya. He found a person who he could confide in, someone who was showing care and standing by his side, so now he found himself wanting more. But was this love? Was this going to last? Or is it just a faze? 

Chhaya, on the other side, found a sense of protection around Rohan, but as well as a dreadful feeling that he would abandon her as her father did. He had left her when she was barely a day old, her mother's death hit him too hard to even register that he had a daughter to care for. Even now, that fear crept from within her. She gazed up at her husband as he paid the vendor. Today had just been too good to be true. Rohan takes her out on a date, kissing her, holding her and looking out for her. 

Thinking back, this sudden change happened after their kiss. If she hadn't kissed him, would they have been at home right now, talking about the meeting for tomorrow and hanging out with the family? Not that she minded that, but right now she was with her husband spending quality time with him. But she wondered if this was going to last. 

"Ro-Rohan?"
"Hmmm?"
"Hum hamesha aese hi rahenge abh?"
(Will we always be like this now?)

Rohan gazed at her confused by the sudden question, "Uh, of course! Why are you asking like that?"
"I just- don't you think everything is happening so suddenly? I mean you hated the idea of being married to me just a few weeks ago and now I'm in your arms and you're saying all these sweet things to me. I just- I worry that since Priya has come back, you are looking at me as a way to escape her. To tell yourself that you've moved on."

Rohan furrowed his brows, not understanding why she would think like that. And it's true, he didn't get her worries, they just didn't comprehend in his mind. Maybe they were rushing into things, but it felt right to him then why was she so concerned?

"Chhaya, I don't get what you're trying to say. I used to not like being around you, but now I do. It's as simple as that."

"Th-then will there be a time when suddenly you don't like being around me again?"
Rohan held her closer to his heart, "No baby."

Chhaya felt slightly at ease with his simple response. Only slightly.

"Look, gajre! Chahiye?" (Want them?)

Chhaya nodded her head gently, trying to escape her thoughts. Rohan bought them from the lady before turning Chhaya around, pulling her hair in a low bun and wrapping the fragrant flowers around it. He leaned closer to give her cheek a kiss before guiding her back to their car.

They went home with thoughts of their own. The two had enjoyed their evening together and were ecstatic about it. Chhaya decided to let go of her silly thoughts and focused on her husband's affection. Maybe she had just won him over with a kiss. 

Hey guys! My placement starts tomorrow, so the updates are going to get very slow for the next eight weeks. Sorry, but it is what it is!

Love you guys heaps!