Chapter 23: Deserve

Rohan watched the girl in front of him, his arms behind his back and a stiff, straight posture. He observed every movement of hers, something twisted in his gut as she spoke about her life prior to being married to him, he had no idea that she had ever faced anything of that sort. His heart broke at the tears, he wanted to comfort her, to go closer and hold her, make sure she was okay. But something in his stopped him from doing so, he just couldn't find himself to move over to her and give her the comfort she was obviously craving. 

Maybe it was his regret, maybe the small voice in his head saying it's all a drama or even the guilt building in his heart saying she's innocent and he didn't deserve her. It could even be the rage radiating off of Chhaya, she was like the fire that would burn him the closer he got. 

"I don't deserve any of this, Rohan! I don't deserve an absent father, I don't deserve the taunts of society, and I definitely don't deserve an accusing husband." Chhaya cried out loud, trying to get her emotions across to the brick wall in front of her.

"I deserve a man who's hopelessly in love with me! A man who'll sweep me off my feet. A man who'll never let sorrow touch me, who'll keep me protected. I deserve a man who'll burn the world to ashes for me!"

Chhaya's voice boomed in the quiet living room, it was quivering but still powerful enough to get her point across. She pointed at Rohan, the man she had hoped for and said her last piece. The last thing she would say to him before leaving tomorrow.

"And unfortunately for, Mr Rohan Singhania. . . . ."

The family held their breaths as she stepped dangerously close to Rohan waiting for the final words. They knew that it was over. Over for the couple, she was no longer the daughter-in-law of this family, no longer the bhabhi, devarani, bahu or biwi that she had been for the past month. They knew it the minute she yanked the piece of thread that held these relations off her neck, they were just waiting for the final straw.

"That man isn't you."

The four words left her mouth as she closed her eyes, coming to terms with the reality that this was it, she would prove her innocence and be gone. Leave the place that had given her the love she had craved all her life, given her a father, a mother, an uncle and aunt, younger siblings, and an older brother and sister. The house that had given her a little niece and nephew, and a glimpse of what a happy marriage should feel like. Even if it was just one date, that was the feeling she wanted every day of her life.

But she knew she had to put herself first, she had to leave this place, the environment no matter how hard it was going to be for her to let go. It was like the world around them had stopped and the only movement that could be heard was Chhaya's anklets as she rushed to her room. With the harsh thud of the door closing did everyone snap out of their daze with a secret wish it all being a nightmare. But it wasn't, it was real and they had to accept it.

Aarav, Raj and Meera rushed over to Chhaya's room, desperately knocking in hope of her opening it. They wanted to make sure she was okay. Neel, Reema and Shourya, on the other hand, stayed back in the living room to process what had happened.

"Rohan, kya ho gaya hai tumhe? Tumhari biwi tumse rishta tod rahi hai aur tum yahan chup khade ho? Aur yeh kiya bakwaas kr rahe the pehle?"

(Rohan, what has happened to you? Your wife is breaking her ties with you and you're standing here quietly? And what was the rubbish you were spewing before?)

"Shourya, please abh yeh mat kehna ki mein usse mafi mangu. Tumhe pata hai ki woh file ussi ne leak ki hai. Mere aur uske isava, kissi ke paas access nahi tha."

(Shourya, please don't tell me to go apologies to her. You know it was her who leaked the file. Noone other than she and I had access to it.)

Shourya shook his head in pure disgust, his cousin still had no idea how wrong her was. "It's not like that Rohan, just have some trust and we'll find who it actually is. In fact we-"
"I don't want to hear it Shouyra."

Shourya crossed his arms and stared at his cousin, "Rohan, don't project the insecurities Priya has created onto the best thing that's ever happened to you. Chhaya is the best thing you could ask for. Don't let her slip out of your hands. She needs to heal and you need to heal, and the two of you can do that for each other. Rohan, you still have time, not long but it's enough to win her back. Once she leaves you'll regret every second you spent hating her."

Saying that Shourya left the living room to meet his distressed wife outside Chhaya's room, he took her in his arms and calmed everyone down, "Just leave her be for a little bit, beside Aarav, Meera we have some things to do."
Raj nods his head and the kids and walks back to get Neel and take him for a walk, he suggests Reema also go join the Suman in the garden. 

Rohan sat on the couch thinking about what had just happened before his phone started to ring. He picked it up, knowing that this conversation could be the last straw for Priya. 

The following morning:
"Thank you bhaiya, bhabhi. And of course Aarvan and Riya. Aap sab nahi hote toh pata nahi mein kya krti." (If it hadn't been for you guys, then I don't know what I would have done.)

Shourya pulled the girl into a hug and held her to his chest. She had developed a special place in everyone's heart, they wanted to hold her back for as long as they could. The family had gathered to say their final goodbye to Chhaya before she left for good. The only two who were missing were Rohan and Priya. Meera had even woken the kids up so they could say bye.

"Bh-bhai, bhuaji bas aate hi hoge. Aap sabko pata hai ki Rohan ko kya batana hai aur kaise. Woh morning job se pehle aaye, mein chali jaana chahti hun."

(Bh-bhai, aunt should be here soon. You guys know what to show Rohan and how. I want to leave before he gets back from his morning jog.)

Meesha and Vihaan groggily walked up to their chachi and hugged her as tight as they could. "When will you come back, chachi?"

Chhaya held back her tears as she kneeled down to hold onto the munchkins, she pulled them close to her heart not letting even a drop out of her eyes. "I-I don't know my babies." Meesha pulled back, and gave her signature pout before saying, "Well don't make us wait too long chachi!"

Chhaya peppered them with kisses before standing back up, she greeted everyone present. "Ho saake toh hume aur mere pote ko maaf kr dena." Sunita Devi folded her hands in front of the broken girl. 

(If possible, then please forgive us and my grandson.)

Soon the family walked behind Chhaya, the taxi had arrived with Nimrat. Aarav picked up her bag with a heavy heart and put it in the boot, before requesting one last time for her to stay back. Giving everyone a final hug, she sat in the car, peeking back at them as they drove away. 

The family shed tears at the departure, feeling a piece of their heart slip out of their chests. They watched the car drive away, they watched Chhaya look back, and they watched the tears escape her eyes as she clutched her sweater closer to her. 

That's it for today guys!

Comment what you think!!