Chapter 29: Ignore

Rohan turned the corner and stood right behind Aarav as he gazed at the sight in front of him. The sight he'd been yearning to see. It was like a cool breeze hitting the fire in his heart with the aim of soothing it, but leaving the fire more intense. The blaze grew wild, untamed and ferocious. He felt the burn creep up his chest to the back of his neck until they reached his cheeks. Soon the blazing sensations turned to hot lava and spilled out of his eyes leaving a hot trail behind as it run down his face.

The sight was one to behold. Dark, raven hair flew in the air. A white embroidered dupatta hung loosely over the shoulder of the enchantress, whose sweet pink lips graced her audience with a bright smile. The ghungroo on her feet played a soft melody complimenting the young musicians. Cute giggles of the buzzing little girls filled the courtyard, but what struck the strings of the broken heart gazing at his beloved was the sound of her voice. The captivating woman who had captivated the attention of everyone was yet to see the new audience as she worked her charms.

Chhaya's heart filled with joy as she spins, the voices of the little girls echoing in her ears, the beat of the sitar running through her veins. She keeps going, unaware of the people around her. It was just her and the music. It wasn't until she felt two pairs of tiny arms wrap around her did she come back to reality. The sudden hug made her stop midway.

"Chhaya chachi!!"
Chhaya looked down at her munchkins as they gleamed at her, she kneeled down in front of her taking them in her arms, completely taken aback by the sudden appearance. 

"Happy birthday chachi!" Meesha squealed as she aggressively flung her arms around Chhaya's neck.

"Aare baba! Chachi's birthday is tomorrow." Vihaan mumbled as he smacked his forehead, Meesha cutely shrugged her shoulders, "I forgot okay. Don't be a meanie."

Chhaya giggled at the kids and hugged them close to her, like she had been almost desperate to do, she could tell they had grown in height. It was crazy. "Oh mere baache! I've missed you sho sho sho much!!!!! Muah!"

(Oh my kiddos!)

Chhaya looked up to see the rest of the Singhania family, she quickly stood up and rushed over to them, flung herself at the first person she saw, who happened to be Shourya. Shourya in return picked her up and swung her around before gently placing her on the ground again. Soon she was bombarded by the entire family, giving her hugs and kisses, just bubbling with excitement to see her. Everyone was in tears as they had their reunion, Chhaya's face had the brightest smile until she got to the person who was the most eager to see her.

She was chatting with Riya as she walked over to him, her arms open as she reached him, about to hug him. But before she did she turned around and looked at who it was she was about to wrap her arms around. Stopping two steps away from him, Chhaya looked up to make eye contact. She doesn't see the man she had left, with arrogance and anger filled in his eyes. Rather she sees a new man, who had regret and sorrow filled in his eyes. But it all felt too surreal to her. The man she had married standing in front of her in such a messed up state. A part of her craved to just jump into his open arms like she had been dreaming of doing since she left. But the other part of her told her to wait. Wait until she was sure, to confirm that this wasn't the man she left behind.

She turned to everyone and smiled, "I'll just go change."

Chhaya walked past Rohan, the dupatta flying in the air, it sticks to Rohan's chest as Chhaya brushes past. He puts a hand over his chest where the fabric was still clinging, desperate to clutch onto the fabric as it slips out of his touch the further his love gets.

Nimrat smiled at them all before guiding them in and introducing them to the owner of the orphanage. "Yeh Sangeetaji hain. Yahan ki owner. Agar chahein toh yahan ruk sakte hai? Humara ghar bilkul saath mein hi hai, pr thoda chota hai, sirf ek kamra hai. Wahan saab adjust nahi ho payenge."

(This is Ms Sangeeta. She's the owner here. If you would like, you can stay here? Our home is right next door but is a little small with only one room. Everyone won't be able to adjust there."

Neel and Raj assured Nimrat that she had nothing to worry about, they would be perfectly fine here. Whilst the family waited, Aarav, Muskaan and Roya played soccer with the kids on the oval and the little girls showed the elders the dance Chhaya had taught them. Rohan's eyes were stuck to the gate, waiting for Chhaya to return whilst Meera tried to calm an anxious Shourya down as Meesha and Vihaan ran after the butterflies in the courtyard where they could easily trip. 

Chhaya, on the other hand, was dealing with her own inner turmoil as she walked back to the orphanage. She was delighted to see everyone, yet having her husba- wait was he her husband? It was all confusing, and the way things had ended between the two added more fuel to the fire.

"Yeh lo, Chhaya bhi aa gayi. Beta, chalo! Lunch ready hai."

(Here we go, Chhaya is back. Child, let's go! Lunch is ready.)

Again Chhaya brushed past the man who had been struggling to forget about her for even a moment in the past six months, but this time she also notices the overgrown and unkept beard. He was never like that, he always had his beard done neatly. She peeked over her shoulder to get e better look, only to make eye contact with him again. She quickly averted her gaze and went to the dining hall of the orphanage, followed by the kids and family.

Rohan watched Chhaya work her way around with the kids rushing to her, bombarding her with questions and how she managed them all at the same time, whilst serving everyone. The room was filled with chaos as the kids slowly settled in and the orphanage family began serving everyone.

"Chhaya didi, yeh log kon hai?"

(Chhaya didi, who are these people?)

Chhaya's hand stopped mid-air as she thought about the question for a minute. It was a good question. Who were they? Who were they to her now that she and Rohan weren't. . . .? 

Chhaya gently smiled at the little boy and said, "They're my friends. And they're here to be your friend too."

Rohan could see the questions running through Chhaya's head, he knew that she was confused. And the only person he had to thank for that was himself. Soon the family were given their rooms and everyone settled in. Dinner was a similar affair and Rohan was on the look for his chance to get a word with Chhaya. When dinner was over and the family decided to enjoy the weather and spend some time in the courtyard. When Chhaya stepped away to the garden, Rohan took a chance he might regret and followed behind. 

VishwaasOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara