Chapter 12: Bonding

Chhaya giggled at her husband as he tried to get an answer out of her. Right now the two were in the kitchen where Chhaya was helping the housekeeper and chef prepare dinner. Meera and Shourya had gone to see the kids at the Roa's and drop off some essentials for tomorrow, they would bring them home tomorrow evening after everything had slightly calmed down. 

Chhaya had learnt that the family loved biriyani, but her husband preferred malai kofta with just plain jeera rice, so that's what she opted for today to express to him that she accepted his offer to start over. To go with that she also made Dal fry, cucumber raita and plain chapatti. 

"Toh mera favourite ban raha hai? Mein yeh samjhu ki tum meri offer maan rahi ho?"

(So my favourite is being made? Does that mean you are accepting my offer?)
Rohan asks as he leans on the counter with the housekeepers moved around the two. 

In return, Chhaya turned to face him and smiled in his direction, "yes. I also don't want this stupid Tom and Jerry between us. Even before we got married."

Rohan smiles brightly at her as if she was giving him the world with just a simple yes. He laughs at her silly pout before pulling her in for a hug. "Thank you," he whispered, "I'll do my best to be the perfect husband for you. It'll take some time but I'll get there."

Chhaya smiled before replying, "I'll also try to be the best wife. It'll take some time but I'll get there."

To which she got a response that melted her, "you already are the best. You're perfect."

The giggling of the chef and housekeeper caused the couple to part away from one another, Chhaya blushed beet red and turned to pour some of the food into a bowl to get Rohan to taste it. As she was doing that a prank crossed her mind. He said he'll try to be a better husband! So let's put that to the test.

She sneaked a spoonful of salt into the small bowl of the malai kofta before turning towards Rohan.

"Yeh try kr ke bataenge ki kaisi bani hai?"
(Can you try this and tell me how it is?)

Rohan casually shrugged before taking a spoonful, only to end up spitting it back into the bowl and coughing harshly at the taste in his mouth. This causes Chhaya to burst into laughter, "your face! I-I . . .oh. . .it's too good. . ."

"Chhaya!" Rohan started angrily, which completely sobered up the girl in front of him. "Yeh kya baachon jaise harkat hai?"

(What is this child-like behaviour?)

Chhaya frowned at the raised voice before replying with equal force, "it's called a joke! Aur abhi tumne bola na ki tum better husband banne ki koshish kroge! You're shouting at me already!"

(And you just said you'll try to be a better husband.)

"Woh baat alag hai. And putting extra salt in my food makes you a better wife?"
(That is different.)

The two kept bickering when Reema and Suman walked in hearing the ruckus.

"Hey bhagwaan, Rohan tu tees saal ka hai! Kaise tum dono bacchon ki tarah lad rahe ho."

(Oh God, Rohan you are thirty years old! How are you two fighting like kids?)

Reema and Suman shook their heads before shooing the couple out of the kitchen. Rohan decided to head upstairs to his study to quickly go over things for tomorrow and Chhaya headed to the living room to sit with her husband's grandmother. After a while she finds Priya entering the living room, she takes a seat opposite the two women before beginning to file her nails.

"Toh suna hai ki aaj malai kofta ban raha. You know jab mein aur mera pati. . . oh, sorry, it must sting na? So I'll just say, Rohan. Toh jab mein aur Rohan college mein the na, toh woh hamesha mujhe ek five star restrunt mein le kr jaata tha. Aur har baar usku malai kofta hi khaana hota hai. Oh kya din the woh bhi! Tum log gaye ho kya uske favourite hotel?"

(So I've heard that malai kofta is being made. You know when my husband and I. . . .oh, sorry, it must sting no? So I'll just say, Rohan. So when Rohan and I were in college, then he would always take me to a five-star hotel. And he would always get malai kofta. Oh, those days were just amazing! Has he taken you out to his favourite hotel?)

Priya gazes at Chhaya waiting for a response. Chhaya's insecurities set in at the mention of Rohan and Priya together and the past they shared. Her relationship with Rohan was the strongest, so this conversation was triggering her. Chhaya peeks over to Sunita Devi, whose eyes held pity for her, before shaking her head. Her cheeks and neck were coloured red in embarrassment. 

Chhaya managed to sit through a few more of her taunts whilst Sunita Devi patted Chhaya's back gently, however soon she wasn't able to take it anymore. She quickly got up and ran out to find her husband. Rohan was in his study, organising his files for his finance meeting tomorrow when he heard the door of his study open with a loud bang. He turned to see what it was only to be grabbed tightly around his neck and a soft wight was thrown at him.

It took him a second to realise it was Chhaya, who was crying. He took a minute to hold her close to him as a way to calm her down before gently pulling away. 

"Kya hua?"
(What happened?)

"Tum sirf mere ho, aur tumhari biwi sirf mein hun. Koi Priya wiya tumhari biwi nahi hai. I'm your only wife. And you are ONLY my husband.Mein tumhe kissi aur ke share nahi krungi. Woh kabse bole hi jaa rahi thi, Rohan mujhe yahan le kr jaata tha, Rohan mere liye yeh krta tha, woh krta tha. Mein already tang aa chuki hun usse. Mein tumhe bata rahi hun, zaada der tak bardasht nahi krungi usse mein. Jaldi uska kuch karo!"

(You are only mine, any I am the only wife you have. No Priya Wiya is your wife. . . . .  I'm not going to share you with anyone, She's going on an on about you, Rohan used to take me here, he used to do this for me and that for ma. I'm arleady fed up with her. I'm telling you, I won't tolerate her for long. Do something about her quickly!)

Rohan smiled at his wife as she crossed her arms and pinned him with a fierce glare. He pulled her closer by her hands and lightly before connecting their foreheads.

"I told you that you're my present and future. Why are worrying about what she has said? I'm yours. Only yours. My heart, soul and existence are yours."

Chhaya's heartbeat raced at her as she peered at her husband's closed eyes. He was so close to her, in her reach, in her arms. It made her problems feel so far away; It made Priya feel so far away. And she never wanted that to change. Her husband was here, with her, and he was his. He's not going anywhere. She hummed as she also closed her eyes to bask in the moment. 

"How about we go for a drive after dinner? Just the two of us. Hmm?"

"Hmmm, Okay!"

Here is your update people! Hope you liked it!

Please vote, comment and share the story!
And also go follow me on Instagram!!

Today's question:

"What in one place in the World that you really want to visit?"