Chapter 25: Regret

It's been three hours since the police had taken Priya away, Shourya told Rohan that he'd take care of the rest of the legal requirements for the official divorce and sentence for Priya. The family had slowly left the room, leaving a distraught Rohan alone. Neel and Reema are the last to leave. 

"Meera, mein aur Aarav abhi aate hain. Apna phone apne paas rkhna, in case Chhaya calls. And just take care of everyone, including Rohan."

(Aarav and I will be right back. Keep your phone on you.)

Meera nods her head before putting an arm around Reema and walking everyone to the dining room, she served them poha and chai for breakfast, coaxing them to eat. She then plated some food for Rohan before taking it to the room.

"Rohan, please eat something. Jo hogaya, agar uske baare mein hi sochte rahe to aage kaise badoge. Please aise bhooke mat raho."

(If you keep thinking about what has happened then how will you progress forward? Please don't stay hungry.)

Rohan watched the woman leave the tray on the counter, and send him a sweet smile before turning around and walking out. This was the first woman he had betrayed, the woman he had openly rejected for the sake of being rebellious. This was the woman who should loathe him for causing that pain, especially after how she treated him. But instead, here she stood, making sure he was fed, even though he was the one in wrong. 

And now five years later, when fate had given him a woman who would give him the love that he had desired from his marriage but because of his own insecurities and trust issues, he blew his chance, and maybe that was his only chance. 

Chhaya's word echoes in his head.

"I wou-ld never do that to you."

"I didn't do anything! Believe me!"
"You'll regret this, but it'll be too late."

He did. He regretted every word he spewed out in anger.

After everything that had happened, one thing was definitely crystal clear to him. And that was that he needed to sort himself out first. He wanted to love and have a happy marriage, but he needed to make himself worth it first. He had to get help.

Rohan spent the rest of the day in Chhaya's room and that's where Shourya and Neel found him in the evening.

"Rohan, beta. Bahar aa jao. Tumhari maa bohot tension le rahi hai. Yahan bethe rehne se Chhaya wapis to nahi aa jayegi na."

(Rohan, my son. Please come out. Your mother is very tense. Sitting here won't bring Chhaya back.)

The men tried to act tough but the sudden sob coming from Rohan caused them to melt immediately. 

"M-meri g-galti hai s-s-sab!"
(It's a-a-all my f-fault!)

Shourya sat beside Rohan and Neel pulled his son into a tight hug, "Mere bete. Aise mat karo! Sab thik ho jayega."

(My son. Don't do this! Everything will work out.)

A few more minutes like that and Neel couldn't see his weeping son anymore and decided to take a step out of the room, leaving the cousins alone. 

Shourya took a hold of Rohan's shoulders and straightened his posture. 

"Listen to me! Sitting here and weeping isn't going to fix anything. Okay?"
Rohan nodded his head, dejected and just completely lost. Shourya pulled out a business card from his pocket, "meri baat ka bura nahi manana. Tu bhi toh mera bhai hai, aur maine dekha hai ki tune apne aap ko kitna badla hai. Aur mein chahta hun ki tumhe har wo khushi mile jiske tum haqdar ho. Pr uske liye tumhe apne upar bohot mehnat krni hogi. Yeh, humare ek client the. He's a therapist. Ek baar milne mein koi burai nahi hai."