Chapter 20: Think about it.

Chhaya sat on her bed, leaning against the headboard as she silently cried at her fate. First, her mother was snatched away at birth, then her father lost himself to alcohol. The woman who spent her entire life filling in the parent role for her has her own battles to fight, and Chhaya might just lose her. Finally, her husband, the one person she had dreamt of sweeping her off her feet and giving her the world had just shattered all her hopes. 

She doesn't deserve this, she deserved a man who would take care of her, love her, protect her and stand by her side at all times. But here, she felt alone, isolated and terrified. She never thought that those would ever be the kinds of feeling her husband would ever make her feel. Gently wiping away her tears, Chhaya got up and made her way over to the bathroom to freshen up, before taking out her laptop and making a list of things she had to do to prove her innocence.

But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't concentrate, her mind kept repeating the words her husband had said to her and how different they were from the promises he had made just the night before. Deciding that she wouldn't be able to get anything done until she has a proper talk with her husband, she closes her laptop before going to get some lunch. She called her bhua to tell her not to worry as she walked out of her room. 

Meera, who was standing in the kitchen preparing a plate of food, turned and came face to face with Chhaya.

"Oh good, you're here. Mein yeh tumhare liye hi lekr aa rahi thi."

(I was bringing this for you.)

"Bhabhi, I-"

Meera took the nervous Chhaya's hand and guided her to the dining room where the two sat down. 

"Don't think about anything. Mein aur Shourya tumhare saath hain. Hume pata hai ki tum aise kuch bhi nahi kr sakti. Aur ghar mein sab tumhare saath hain. In fact, maine our Shourya ne toh soch bhi liya ahi ki woh Rohan ki help krenge Priya ko le kr aur mein aur Aarav tumhari, yeh leak ko le kr. Aur Riya bhi tyaar hai kuch bhi krne ko."

(Shourya and I are with you. We know that you didn't do anything. And everyone at home knows that. In fact, Shourya and I have decided that he'll help Rohan with the whole Priya situation and Aarav and I will help you with this leak. And even Riya is ready to do whatever she can.)

Chhaya began sobbing before gently being pulled into Meera's arms. Meera cooed at the heartbroken girl, trying to soothe her as much as she could. She felt so bad for the helpless girl."Aacha baba, rona band kro. Hmmm."

(Okay now stop crying. Hmmm.)

Chhaya looked at Meera trying her best to stop the tears, "kuch nahi hua hai. Bas thodi si misunderstanding hai, kuch din mein clear ho jayegi."

(Nothing has happened. There's just some misunderstanding that will be cleared in a few days.)

"P-p-pr Rohan t-toh. . . .U-usko l-lagta hai k-k-ki m-emin aisa k-k-kuch krungi. Mei-n kabhi so-ch bhi na-anhi sakti."

(B-b-but Rohan th-thinks. . . .H-he th-thinks that I wo-would so that. I-I would n-n-never even th-think like tha-that.)

Meera tried her best to soothe the girl, but it wasn't until they heard footsteps coming into the kitchen, Chhaya turned to see her husband. She ran over to him to try one last time, to see if he would listen and hear her out. 

"Rohan! Meri ek baar baat sunlo, jo bhi hua hai, ussme mera koi haath nahi hai! Itna bhi bharosa nahi hai mujh pr. Tumhari biwi hun mein, agar job nahi bhi karun, toh meri har zaroorat tum puri kr sakte ho. Phir mein aisa kyun krungi? Ek baar shaant dimaag se soch toh sahi."

(Please listen to me! I had nothing to do with whatever happened. Do you not trust me even a little bit? I'm your wife, even if I don't work, then you are more than capable of fulfilling all my needs and desires. Then why would I do this? At least think about it with a calm mind.)

Rohan's heart broke a little at the sight of his wife weeping in front of him, her hand joined together, begging him to reconsider his thoughts. But as of now, he was blinded by his anger and insecurities that he didn't say a word. Priya also wept in front of him when her cover was blown and now she was back and had no fear, making his life hell. Meera rushed over to get a hold of the girl before guiding her away, she looked back at the stone-hearted man. How strange it was to her that a husband was treating his wife this way, if it had been her weeping like this in front of her husband, he would have done anything to make the tears disappear. 

But Rohan wasn't like Shourya, he had his wall and his own past experiences. From his perspective, why should he trust a woman again when he's been cheated by one for the sake of money? Seeing his wife shaking as she walked away made him uncomfortable, but without letting that become his weakness he moved ahead towards the door.

Chhaya almost wailed as she was guided away by Meera, the further she got away from her husband, the more the feeling set in. The feeling that told her that Rohan didn't trust a word she said. The feeling that one date wasn't going to fix their distances. The feeling that they were back to square one, only this time she had feelings. Something else she knew was that this is not what she wanted, even if her heart was burning at the truth she knew she would have to accept it. Maybe all that was left to do was prove her innocence. Maybe after that, it would be it for the two. Maybe Rohan will never know how her heart pained at his emotionless expressions

Her sole focus, for now, was to find out who was behind this. Then she would have to think about their relationship and if she could stay with a man who may never be able to move past his pride, ego and past.