Chapter 28: Deal

Rohan was sitting in his bed, getting his bags packed for Manali. They were going for two full weeks. The family felt they need a holiday and the kids had their first break from school, so they were super excited about their holiday. It was Friday today, and they had decided to get there on Sunday, the day before Chhaya's birthday. It had been Rohan's idea to do that and he had two reasons. One was that he was desperate to see her and the other was that if Chhaya didn't want to meet him then he didn't want to ruin her birthday by showing up. At least if he met her a day before he could determine whether she would want him present at her birthday celebrations. 

Although it would break his heart if Chhaya didn't want to see him, he knew she would be well within her rights to say no. The family were extremely excited, especially the Vihaan and Meesha. They even forced everyone to go shopping today, so that they could buy their chachi birthday presents. During that trip, Rohan had given Meesha and Vihaan full charge to help him buy whatever Chhaya would like. They told him about how much she loved roses, so she got her an eternal rose. They picked out some jewellery she would like as well as some dresses Meesha thought would look really pretty on her chachi. Not to mention how hard the Singhania women giggled in Sephora when most of the men seems completely confused, and Rohan and Vihaan seemed to be on a mission to find the prettiest lipstick.

And now, Rohan had to find a way to pack all of that away. When they got back from shopping Meesha and Vihaan invades his room with wrapping paper, ribbons and bows and lots of glitter so they could pack all the gifts they had bought, now Rohan didn't understand how he would store them without damaging the hard work of the children. Just as he had managed to put most of the gifts away, he heard his phone ring. It was the company in the Chinese market, the one he'd been looking forward to, so they could step up the business.

"Hello."
"Hello, Mr Rohan Singhania?"

"Speaking."

"Our company would like to set up the meeting for next Monday."

Without a second thought, Rohan gave his answer, this deal could be his only chance to enter the Chinese market. But it wasn't as important as Chhaya.

"I'm not available then."

"This could mean losing the $900 million dea-"

Before the woman on the phone could finish her sentence she was graced with the sound of the loud, obnoxious beep as Rohan hung the phone up and threw it on his bed. That deal could wait, getting into the Chinese market could wait, and making nine hundred million dollars could wait. But his Chhaya can't. Rohan packed his bag before lying on his bed, for the first time ever he didn't feel guilty about not being able to do the meeting, he didn't feel the pressure of rescheduling it or making phone calls to ensure it does end up happening. Rather, he felt content, even happy that he didn't have to sit through a tiring meeting and rather would be with Chhaya if she let him.

With the thought of Chhaya shadowing his mind and heart, Rohan spent the next few nights with anticipation in his eyes. Everyone could see it, and his excited energy was brewing in everyone too, they were all eager to get a glimpse of Chhaya. 

On Sunday, Rohan was the first on up, he had gotten ready and made everyone breakfast so that they could get on the plane for Manali. Their private jet was ready for them, and Rohan had called the organisers three times this morning to confirm that everything was ready. He didn't want any interruptions. Although his eagerness and excitement had no limits, a huge part of him was also terrified. He knew that Chhaya wouldn't be waiting for him with open arms and her brightest smile. And it was her right to give him the pain she had received. It was his turn to be on the receiving end of the taunts, complaints and hate. 

But he was ready for it, anything she threw his way he would take with a smile on his face. If that's what made her happy, if that's what gave her peace, then he would take it. Another huge part of him knew that if her final decision is to stay away, not give him a chance or even if she had found someone else, then he had to accept that too. Even if it tore his rebuilt self back to pieces, he had to accept it. Even if it meant that his last chance at love was taken away, he had to accept it. There wasn't much else he would have been able to do.

"Chalo dad."

(Let's go dad.)

The family laughed as they boarded the plane at Rohan's enthusiasm. He was behaving like a child. Neel patted his head as he got on the plane and everyone buckled their seatbelts. The flight was roughly 3 hours long, but it felt like 3 hundred. Meera cuddled into Shourya and Aaracn and Muskaan played with Vihaan and Meesha. The elders sat together with Sunita Devi and Riya nudged and teased Rohan every chance she got. 

To pass time, the family played Antakshari and Dumb Charades, each and every one of them ready for their holiday. 

"Please fasten your seatbelts. We are about to land. Welcome to Manali, we hope you have a safe and pleasant stay."

Rohan's heartbeats accelerated as the plane landed, and everyone stood up ready to leave. Rohan couldn't believe that very soon, he would have the woman he's been craving to see in front of him. His steps faltered as he stepped out of the plane. The clean, crisp hair hit his face, and he felt at peace here, he couldn't help but smile as they exited and waited for the taxis to take them to their destination. 

Sirf 20 minute aur, phir meri aankhon ke saamne Chhaya hogi. Bas ek baar dekh lun, phir chahye aandha hi kyun na ho jaaon.

Just 20 minutes more, and I'll be able to get a glimpse of Chhaya. That's all I desire, even if I go blind after, it won't matter.

The address was of an orphanage and when they parked outside it, Rohan let the family enter before him, so he could see the happiness on Chhaya's face before seeing the frown that he knew would be directed at him.

"Aare aap log aa gaye! Chhaya aandar bachon ke saath hi hai. Angaan mein. Tum sab ko dekh kr bohot khush hogi!"
(Hey you guys are here! Chhaya is inside, with the kids. In the courtyard. She'll be very happy to see you all.)

Rohan took slow steps forward to greet Nimrat, he bowed down to touch her feet before profoundly apologising for his actions.

"Bhua ji, please please mujhe maaf kr dein. Maine aapki Chhaya ka khyal nahi rakha."

(BHua ji, please forgive me. I didn't take care of your Chhaya .)

Nimrat smiled at him, "pehle toh bohot gussa thi aapse. Pr abhi koi gussa nahi hai. Aur aap yahan aaye hai, iska toh yahi matlab hai na ki apni galti sudharne aayen hai."

(I was really upset before. But not anymore. You are here, so that means that you are here to rectify your mistake.)

Rohan stalked slowly behind the family as they entered the orphanage, a few girls looked their way giggling before running off. Rohan smiled their way and continued walking behind everyone, he could hear subtle music as they did. His eyes sparkling, but his palms are sweaty as they enter the courtyard where Chhaya was with the kids.