Chapter 24: Gone

The Singhania's sat in their front yard veranda, not having the heart to go inside. A small hope that the yellow-coloured car might return and give them their Chhaya back. But the hope withered away as the sun rose higher. Rohan opened the gate to the entrance and saw how the family snapped their eyes in his direction, before slumping and turning back around. He saw glimpses of hope in their eyes when they faced his direction. 

He walked up to them, noticing the absence of Chhaya. He greeted everyone a good morning and in return either got snubbed or a weak, distasteful reply back. He watched them all stand up and leave him behind. A confused Rohan followed them inside to get ready for the day, he again noticed the absence of Chhaya as he walked past the living room and kitchen. She was usually awake by now, making breakfast or getting Meesha and Vihaan's school lunch ready. 

Soon the family found themselves on the sofa with the absence of joy, smiles and cheery faces. No one was in the mood to go to work today, and soon Muskaan was at the door to pick the twins up for school. Meera frowned at Priya as she walked in with a smirk on her face. 

"Aaj sab ghar hain? Kya hua? Sab milkr meri sevva krenga?"

(Everyone is home today? What happened? Everyone is going to be at my service?)

Not having the energy to entertain the woman, the family decided to just ignore her. However, the answer to her question came from behind her, from the man she claims to still be married to.

"Sevva toh abh tumhe krni hogi, aur woh bhi jail mein."

(You're the one who needs to be at service, and that too in jail.)

The family scrunched their brows at Rohan as he stepped towards them. He fixed his cufflinks and took a seat on the armchair across from the woman who had turned his life into a nightmare. 

"Kya matlab?"

(What do you mean?)

Before Rohan could answer the sound of their doorbell interfered, "matlab abhi pata chal jayega."

(You'll find out now.)

The rest of the family watched on just as confused as Priya, but the confusion vanished into thin air as the guests made an entrance into the living room. The colour drained from Priya's face at the sight of the tall, lean man walked in.

"Hi baby! Tumne toh bola tha ki zaroori kam khatam hote hi wapis aa jayogi, pr tum aayi hi nhai toh mein khud chala aya. Surprise!"

(you said you'll be back as soon as the important work is finished, but you so I came instead.)

Shourya and Meera exchanged glances with each other and the rest of the family, utterly confused at the scene in front of them. 

"R-R-Ritesh! O-oh! Hi baby."

Before she could continue two more familiar faces, known to the rest of the family walked through. It was the judge from their divorce hearing and a member of the jury who they had spoken to after the hearing. 

"Inhe toh hum sab jaante hai, aur agar koi bhool gaya hai toh. . . "

Rohan swiftly picked up the remote and pressed the on button, "yeh dekh kr sab yaad aa jayega."

(Everyone knows these men, and if you don't have forgotten then  . . . . . you'll remember after seeing this.)