We walk into the school and I go straight for my locker. Going through it, I groan when I see my reminders list. I forgot I have a completely different essay to write and a math exam on Friday I have to study for. I'm too caught up in this stupid boy. That's it, no more distractions.

"Hey."

I close my eyes and lean my head back. Speaking of distractions...

"Hi," I say abruptly, my face buried in my locker.

"I was just wondering if you were coming over after school to finish the project?"

I act like I'm looking for something in my locker. "I'm busy."

"Okay."

I look at Elijah. There's a genuine tone in his voice so why do I feel guilty? I was going to leave him without an answer but he's literally just looking at me and I fold.

"I have another essay due and a lot of studying to catch up on."

"I understand, we'll try again Thursday. I would say Wednesday but I wouldn't want to interrupt your hump day," Elijah says with a sarcastic smile on his face.

I mock his expression and shut my locker. Throwing my backpack over one shoulder, I walk to the snack bar.

"One water please." I hand the lady behind the window a dollar.

"Do not hit me because I respectfully say this but what happened to your lip?"

"Thank you." I smile as I grab my water and the warning bell rings.

"I bit it," I mumble as I make my way to class, hoping he'll leave it at that. I'm in an off mood today.

"What were you doing that you bit it that hard?" Elijah asks, sounding fully concerned.

"Flying a plane," I say annoyed.

Sitting down in my spot, I set out my notebook and pencil. When I hear Mrs. Stan say we're taking notes for the exam, I pull out a pen and reach for my highlighters but realize I forgot them. I must've left them on the dining table or my nightstand. I sigh and turn around. "Can I borrow a highlighter?"

He fakes a pout and tilts his head and I just know he's going to say something. "Awe, did Her Highness leave her highlighters on the plane?"

I give him an unamused look as he hands me one.

"Forget it, I don't want your stupid markers anymore."

A small smile appears on his lips as he shrugs and leans back. I turn to the boy at the desk next to me and reach over to tap his arm.

"Do you have a highlighter I could borrow?" I ask in a soft tone.

He eagerly nods and hands me the one right out of his hand.

I smile at him. "Thanks. I like your glasses." I do. He's wearing thin navy blue ones.

"Thank you." He smiles back.

I quickly turn back around to see Elijah eyeing the boy from behind. His eyes land on me and I show him a sarcastic smile as I shrug.

I face forward and write down the notes on the board.

Halfway through, I think I zoned out because the teacher is looking down at me with her arms crossed over her chest. I look at her through to corner of my eyes before slowly lifting my head up.

When I meet her eyes, she rolls them.

Someone didn't get laid last night.

"You're not paying attention, Ms. Quinn."

"I am, Mrs. Stan," I mock her tone. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I have the notes and I don't feel well.

"Then where are the last three pages of notes?"

My mouth opens, shocked. "Three?" I whisper.

"Yes. Three," Mrs. Stan confirms with attitude.

"It's okay, Mrs. Stan. Lavender can just copy off of me," I hear Elijah chime in.

I bite the inside of my cheek and subtly roll my eyes out of frustration.

The teacher eyes Elijah before they land back on me. "I suppose but alas, how will she understand if she just copies?"

I narrow my eyes at her. "I understand it."

She looks me dead in the eye. What is up with her today? "Then solve it."

I switch between her eyes dumbfounded, somehow asking 'Are you serious?'. She gestures to the whiteboard.

I sigh and stand up, grabbing my notes to prove a point. I walk to the board after grabbing themarker out of her hands.

I look at the question written on the board and take a quick peek at my notes before writing my work.

I work through the problem with strategies I've studied and learned. I added, divided, multiplied, subtracted, and brought down numbers.

I finish off the problem and even checked my work with the way she taught us.

I circle the final answer and close the marker. Turning to Mrs. Stan, I hand it to her. "I understand it," I repeat in a serious tone.

I walk back to my seat and quickly peek around the room. I see some confused faces but also some smiles, especially one in particular. Elijah is leaning back in his seat with a small smile on his face, almost... proud.

The bell rings right when I sit down.

"Class dismissed," I hear Mrs. Stan grumble.

I sniffle as I throw my notebook back in my bag.

I flinch as I feel a hand squeeze my shoulder. Looking up to see a girl I've talked to only a few times, Claire I think her name is. "Good job," she whispers with a smile as she walks out. I smile back.

Not sparing a glance at anyone else, I walk out of the classroom and head for my locker. I bury my face in it and take a deep breath.

I can always tell when I'm about to have another depressive 'episode' and I can't tell whether it's a blessing or a curse.

The next warning bell rings so I grab my English book and go to class.

***