Chapter 52 - Period

Almost a month had passed since the peculiars moved to Florida. They were then residing on the present day, and they were really keen on learning about how things worked. They all were adapting well, and they liked their new home.

That morning, Miss Peregrine and Jake were talking in the kitchen, him helping her preparing breakfast, task that was pretty simple. That day he had awoken at their new family's house, something he was very happy about.

Alma looked radiant as usual. However, Jake could notice that she was not standing straight, and that she would frown once in a while, even resting a hand on her belly.

Slightly concerned, he asked:

J- Are you alright?

Al- Uh, yes.

J- Are you sure? It gave me the impression that you're in pain.

Al- It's no big deal, I can take it.

J- But, what's hurting?

Al- Well, it's back...

J- What's back?

Al- My... my period.

J- Oh! So, you've got those cramps...

Al- Yeah...

J- Is it usually like that?

Al- No, um, what I meant by saying that it's back, is that it's the first time I have it in a very long time... Since now we live outside a loop, that aspect of my body has normalized.

J- Oh... You're telling me that during all those years you lived in the loop you didn't have it?

Al- That's right. As the September 3rd I created the loop I didn't have it, it remained that way. I had forgotten about what this pain felt like...

J- I see... And, when did it start?

Al- Last night.

J- Ok. And, are you wearing something for it?

Al- Um, a folded cloth with cotton.

J- Alright. Well, if you'd like, after breakfast we can go to a drugstore, and get you some pills to relieve the pain, and also some of these things called tampons, that are likely more comforta- (He stopped when he saw her laugh a little). What? (He said smiling).

Al- I know what a tampon is...

J- Oh! Ok, good.

Al- Thank you.

J- No problem. It's the least I can do. (He said, placing a hand on her shoulder).

They all had breakfast in the dining room, and after that, Jake drove Alma to a drugstore nearby. There, they got the necessary stuff. Miss Peregrine was still impressed with the huge variety of supplies there was, this being something she was indeed content regarding their moving.

She thought Jake was so kind for taking her to get what she needed. He even offered her to pay for her things, her declining. They left the drugstore with a couple of paper bags, Alma carrying hers, seeing that Jake had also bought some stuff for himself. Once again inside the car, before turning it on, Jake said:

J- I've gotten you this. (He said, handling her two chocolate tablets). I read that eating chocolate is good for when you're on your period.

Al- Aww thanks! How nice of you! (She said, opening one of the wrappers, leaving the other tablet on her lap).