Chapter 18 - Hidden

When Miss Peregrine and the children arrived to America, it was indeed a huge change, and it took some time to get used to their new life. Nevertheless, something that made things much easier, was, apart from Jake living near them, how welcoming his family was. They would often invite them to their house, share meals, and even bonded really well with the children. After some time living in Florida, some of the children under Miss Peregrine's care, were transferred to another loop, so the ones who still lived with her, were the younger ones.

Once, Jake and his parents invited Miss Peregrine and the kids to spend a weekend at a house of theirs on the countryside. They accepted joyfully, so, after packing their things and getting ready, they got into their cars, and started driving to the place. While Jake's parents were in a car, Jake, Miss Peregrine and the children, were in another. Miss Peregrine and Jake liked each other, and although nothing was official, they did share a special link that encouraged them to keep pushing until they could become a couple.

It was evening when they were driving, and, the first forty minutes more or less, the children remained excited, and would talk and laugh. However, later they started feeling sleepy, until they ended up falling asleep on their seats at the back. Then, the vehicle was way more silent, which became a great context for Miss Peregrine and Jake to talk. Speaking in a low tone of voice, in order not to wake up the children, Miss Peregrine said:

M- Thanks a lot for inviting us, Jake. You and your family are very kind to us, and we really appreciate it.

J- It's nothing, love. We are all so glad to have you.

M- Well, thanks... love...

At first Jake was quite surprised with her answer, and then he noticed that he had called her "love" first, apparently without noticing. He looked at her for a moment, and when he saw that she was smiling, he smiled too. Maybe he didn't actually mean to reveal his feelings to her at that moment, but at least it turned out alright. He placed a hand on her thigh, which made her feel those tingles on her belly that are likely to appear in situations like those. They remained talking, until they arrived to their destination, where Jake's parents were already.

They slowly woke up the children, who had been asleep all the way, and once inside the house, in their rooms, they were helped to get changed into their pajamas, and tucked in bed. They shared a room, Miss Peregrine was in another one, then there was Jake's parents' one, and finally Jake's room. Alma, Jake and his parents, were seated in a living room, chatting and having some snacks. When they concluded that they would all be going to sleep as well, they said goodnight, and headed to their bedrooms.

Miss Peregrine was in her room, now in her pajamas, that were a light pink set of a tank top and shorts, accommodating her luggage, when she heard a knock on the door. She thought that perhaps one of the kids had woken up, but when she opened the door, she saw Jake standing there. What she said was:

M- Oh! Hi, Jake... Is everything alright?

J- Yes, Alma, everything's fine... I just wanted to come and say goodnight to you... again...

M- That's okay. You can tell me goodnight as many times as you like. (She said chuckling)

J- Good, then, here I am...

Jake was fascinated with how her beautiful eyes beamed while they were talking, but he was also making an effort to prevent his sight from going to her body, especially her chest, which was showing really nicely through her top, apart from the fact that this one had a low neckline. Alma held his hands softly, and afterwards, Jake kissed her lips. They were both wanting this for a while now, so they enjoyed it while it lasted. When the broke apart, they stared at each other, and then kissed again, for another moment. Then, they hugged, and Jake kissed the top of Alma's head, before leaving to his own room. That night, both had trouble sleeping, since they wanted to spend the night with the other, but they knew that they should wait, so, each one in their bed, they rested with the thought of their loved one on their minds.