Chapter 43 - Learning about the loop

At Miss Peregrine's home, everyone was having lunch. They were all seated around the large table, and the ymbryne, at the head of the table, was beside Jake, the person nobody knew she shared a quite special link with, which involved them getting intimate frequently.

Earlier that day, they had talked about the possibility of them having a heated moment at night, which was the best time to do so, since the probabilities of them being interrupted were reduced, as all the children were asleep, or supposed to be so.

While feeling how Jake softly stroked with his fingers the back of her hand, that was resting on the table, loving that simple yet meaningful action for her, in a low tone of voice, Miss Peregrine said:

M- I can't wait for tonight... I love it when we do it...

J- So do I, trust me...

Suddenly, they were interrupted by Claire, who asked:

C- What's happening tonight?

Feeling awkward, the adults hesitated about what to answer. Luckily, Jake managed to rapidly make something up:

J- Umm, tonight Alma will show me more in detail, how is that she resets the loop... It had always called my attention, and we're quite excited for it...

M- That's right.

That was enough of an answer for the child, who immediately continued chatting with the others. Alma gave Jake a friendly look, sort of thanking him for getting them out of that awkwardness with his clever answer. He thought that she was so pretty, and that he was the luckiest for constantly having the chance of seeing her not in her usual headmistress behavior, but in a completely different environment, witnessing an absolutely unknown yet charming side of her.

--------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, in the afternoon, while the kids were playing or hanging out, especially in the backyard, Miss Peregrine and Jake were there as well, seated on a bench under a tree, chatting informally.

Remembering the brief moment during lunch, Alma said:

M- You know what? I believe that we should have a sort of code word.

J- Code word? What do you mean?

M- You know... A code word or phrase that we say, making reference to our intimate moments, to avoid saying it directly if there are people around.

J- Oh, I get it... It's actually a pretty good idea. (He said laughing a little).

M- Um, it has to be something completely different to its meaning, to avoid any suspicions...

J- Right... You're saying it as if it was a crime or sort of... There's nothing wrong with it though... We're both fine with it ...

M- I know... It's not easy for me, as an ymbryne, to normalize all this... But that doesn't mean that I don't like it. In fact, I really do.

J- Me too... You're gorgeous.

M- Thanks, Jake... You're the sweetest... Back to the code word... What can it be?

J- I don't know... Maybe something like... to "fill the void"?

M- What? Oh... I'm the void...

J- Yeah... A pretty tight one. (He said playfully, earning a glare with an attempt to uncover a small smile).

M- That's a great example for what it shouldn't be. I said no references to its meaning. (She said laughing a bit). No, but for real... Um, earlier today we said something about the loop reset... That could work...