Chapter 30 - Proposal

Miss Peregrine's home was no longer located in Ciarnholm, Wales. Actually, it wasn't even in a loop anymore. Situated in the present day, in Florida, the children lived happily with their headmistress in charge, as always. The decision of moving to a different country and historical time, was made after rescuing the ymbrynes, and all that complicated experience, that luckily turned out alright. Since they had figured out how to live normally, instead of in a day that repeated itself over and over, they concluded that it would be beneficial to make such a change, having the possibility of knowing a new reality.

The new house was spacious and it was decorated nicely. There were rules, and order was a priority, just like it had always been, but of course, care and safety being as important. Everything was doing fine, and after some moments of uncertainty, danger and fear, regarding the previous events, things were finally falling into place again. At least, that's how it seemed. Each person has their own problems and worries. In this case, while the kids under her care were doing well and lived happily, Miss Peregrine battled her own thoughts.

She had promised herself years ago, that she would commit to ensure her wards wellbeing, task that she had always fulfilled accurately. However, personally, she felt sometimes lonely. Even though she had a huge affection towards the children, and the relationship she had with them was lovely, it did not allow her to be able to truly count on someone, although she knew they would always support her. But this was different. She was an adult, and after some time, having so little contact with someone besides the kids, affected negatively. Sometimes, she would reflect about what if some aspects of her life were different, and she felt ashamed of that. She wanted a different kind of company, and that was one of the main reasons why, despite the fact that during the day she seemed so fine and calm, she would cry at night in her bedroom, feeling a sort of void. This had happened for quite a long time, until the moment she met Jake, and they started developing a nice link.

They were not even too close, but they enjoyed spending time with each other. Jake was kind and also fun to talk to. He provided her confidence, constantly politely complimenting her, regarding her peculiar abilities, or even looks. He though she was very attractive, and loved to see her smile, sometimes even showing him a side of her he did not know, a less strict one. He was able to notice, although she uncovered it well, that deep down she was not alright. He could see it in her eyes. There was a point when he even asked her if there was something he could help her with, situation that ended up with her briefly telling him her sorrows, something she felt slightly better about. Making her see that she was not alone, he told her that he had always had the sensation of not fitting in, something that eased when he met her and the children. By the time they started residing in Florida, place where Jake was born and raised, they shared a strong connection, that they both valued significantly, and that did not take too long in becoming even romantic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

One Saturday morning, Jake had also awoken at the home. He would go and spend the night there quite frequently, since he had become really good friends with many of the residents, without mentioning that, his own house, the one he lived in with his parents, was very near this one. While some kids were playing or hanging out in the backyard, others would have breakfast in the kitchen. Normally, they always seated at the main table in the dining room to share the meal, but as it was the weekend, the schedule could become more flexible.

There was a smaller table in the kitchen, surrounded by some chairs, where some of the kids, Jake and Miss Peregrine were seated on. There was a moment in which a child asked for the cookie jar, that was on a shelf. The ymbryne quickly stood up to reach it, and right at that same instant, Jake extended his arm to stop the microwave below, his fingers accidentally grazing Miss Peregrine's breast, brushing such a sensitive part through her clothes. He could hear her emit a soft gasp, barely perceptible, but also quite clear. He froze in his place, completely embarrassed. He apologized, and when their gazes met, they remained looking each other in the eye for a while, that might have been only a few seconds, but they felt them as eternal.