Chapter 24 - Step by step

It was night time. Miss Peregrine and the children were living in Florida, at a new home, which was just as nice as the previous one, only that more modern, but still cozy. Jake was at the house, not, because he lived there, since he lived with his parents some blocks apart, but because he constantly visited and even spent the night, as he had developed a really special link with all the home's residents. They had been the kindest to him, actually, even more than his family, since they understood him, and ensured that he felt that he belonged with them since the first day.

In addition, Jake had become really close to Miss Peregrine, perhaps even more than to some of the children. They liked spending time together, talking and doing diverse activities, for example Jake showing her how different electronic devices worked, which she comprehended very well, and enjoyed learning. They had become really good friends, but what anyone who would pay attention could tell, was that they also shared a mutual attraction, in a romantic way. Apart from the playful flirting and naughty comments in random and informal conversations, they genuinely liked each other, something that they hadn't faced yet, maybe due to the fear of being rejected, or even the worry of their connection changing in a negative way.

That night, when everyone was supposed to be asleep, Jake still wasn't. He wanted to talk to Miss Peregrine, to suggest some activities he had in mind to do the next day, for all the children and themselves. He thought that she could be still awake, since she usually went to bed or fell asleep a little bit later, as she stayed arranging some things or giving some time to herself to do personal things, such as bathing, for example. He went out of the room he was sharing with some of the boys, and trying to be as silent as possible, he walked to Miss Peregrine's, and when he was about to knock her door, he heard sobs coming from the inside.

He got quite worried, and after internally debating if he should talk to her or not, he decided that he should, since maybe talking to someone could help her. He knocked the door, followed by saying:

J- Alma? Are you alright? May I come in?

M- Jake?

J- Yes, it's me... May I come in?

M- Yes...

He slowly opened the door, and there she was, laying on her bed to the side, curled up in a ball, with her face full of tears. He felt bad instantly, feeling sorry for her, wondering what could be causing her distress. Approaching, he said:

J- Alma... What's wrong? Why are you crying? (He asked while stroking her hair, tucking a strand behind her ear).

M- ...

J- Come here... (He said hugging her, slowly laying on the bed)

She rapidly responded the embrace, crying harder, hiding her face in the crook of his neck. He stroked her back up and down, kissing her temple or cheek once in a while, thinking of how nice it felt being that close to her physically, probably the most they had ever been. He also thought that she smelled really nice, and soon started feeling sleepy. Trying to focus on helping her, he spoke:

J- Would you like to tell me what's been bothering you?

M- Yes, it's just that... Sometimes I don't even know... All I know is that I feel sad and upset sometimes, and I am aware that it's because different things, but it frustrates me not being able to point them out...

J- I see... Well, I would say that right now you are pointing them out quite well... Besides, don't forget that you are still getting used to living here, in a different house, country, and historical time... That is a huge change for sure, and I believe that you are handling everything beyond great. It's fine to feel overwhelmed and anxious, and so is crying.