Chapter 20 - Let's go

At the children's home, now located in Florida, everyone was finishing dinner. At the table, Miss Peregrine was seated at the head, while Jake was at her right. As days were going by, they were becoming closer. They would spend time together, chatting, laughing, and everything was going great. It was evident for anyone that saw them frequently, that they had a mutual crush.

Unfortunately, not everyone was happy, or at least fine with the situation. Emma, one of the oldest wards, was upset about it, and she would even interfere if she could. At first, she liked Jake, and thought that the two of them could get to something. However, when she concluded and accepted that he was into their ymbryne, she started developing a dislike towards them, making things quite tense in several situations.

When everyone was done with their food, after picking up everything, and cleaning up the table, they focused on their own thing, having free time. Jake was walking from the dining room to the living room, and suddenly, on a corner of the room, he saw Emma arguing with Miss Peregrine. Actually, the one who was talking was Emma, since Alma was just standing there, listening with a sad and angry look on her face. Apparently, what she told her was quite negative, because an instant later, Miss Peregrine went upstairs, and if paid attention, it was possible to hear her door slamming.

Worried and intrigued, Jake approached Emma, who remained at the living room, and asked:

J- What happened? What did you tell her?

E- Nothing, she's just acting hysterical as always.

J- I mean it, what did you tell her?

E- Nothing, besides, it's not my fault that she makes a huge deal out of everything...

Seeing that she wouldn't tell him what had happened, he climbed up the stairs, and when he got to Alma's room, he knocked the door and then opened it. She was laying on her bed, hugging a pillow, with her face full of tears. When he was in, she said:

M- Jake, I want to be alone...

J- I understand, but I don't want anything that just happened to get to you.

M- It's fine...

J- No, it's not. Come on, let's get out of here.

M- What?

J- Yeah, let's go for a walk or something, or I can drive to the beach...

M- Alright...

She stood up, grabbed a jacket, and followed Jake downstairs, leaving the house, getting into Jake's car. Jake had asked Enoch and Olive to supervise the younger ones, so there was nothing to worry about. Once inside the car, they were headed to the beach, which was nearby. On their way, Jake asked her:

J- Would you like to tell me what happened?

A-It's just that... She's so freaking ungrateful... I've always been nice and attentive to her, and she shouldn't talk to me the way she does...

J- Right. What did she tell you a while ago?

A-Um...Since she's upset about us becoming closer... I mean, not that we are a couple or anything...

J- Yes, I know...

A-She said that... I'm so desperate for getting laid that it's pathetic... But I disagree! I don't think I've done anything showing that.

J- Of course you haven't. Alma, don't let a messed- up child's comment affect you. You are perfect, at least to my eyes. It's clear that she makes those hurtful comments, because she's unhappy about our link, and how we get along, but none of that is true.