Chapter 47 - True Feelings

It was a normal evening where the peculiars lived. No longer in Cairnholm, but in Florida. Because of the time of the day, the younger wards were already in bed. It was quite chilly outside, and Miss Peregrine's wards were seated on a carpet on the floor, in a living room, which was not the main one, chatting and also playing a board game.

Although he was not a pupil, neither he lived at the new home, since his was a few blocks away, Jake was there as well. However, he was not hanging out with the children, but with the ymbryne instead. They were seated on a couch close to a corner, slightly far from the kids. They would once in a while comment about what the others were talking about, especially if they were asked something, but most of the time, they were chatting about their own topics in a low tone of voice.

For a while now, they had been the best of friends. They would constantly spend time together, playfully annoying each other, sharing simple activities, that would turn into great ones, since what mattered for them was the company.

Actually, they shared much more than that. For around a month already, instead of denying their mutual attraction, they had chosen to embrace it, so there had been already several occasions in which they would make out, and even sleep together, getting physically involved, all that certainly modifying the link they previously had.

Although in their general behavior nothing had changed much, they constantly ensured to show their care and actual affection, believing it was something important, that definitely added to their relationship, which at the moment was pretty casual.

Sitting comfortably on that sofa, they seemed to be having a pretty interesting conversation, both seeming really into it, but also into each other. Apparently, it involved their bond, and some of their activities, as they constantly glared at each other, and they would also whisper in the other's ear, making it impossible to hear for the people around. In addition to that, they were relying on the backrest, very close to each other, Jake resting his hand on her thigh, of the leg she had crossed over the other one.

He was showing her several things on his phone, her observing and listening to him attentively. They were scrolling through his photos, and there were even some of them together, which pleased both.

At a certain moment, Jake got closer to her, and kissed her lips. It was a quick kiss, and they both liked it, it leading to a second one.

Only a few of the children that there were saw them, and they did not say anything about it. They did not dare to interrupt them nor ruin their moment, so they just continued with their activities, and so did the adults.

-------------------------------------------------

The next morning, after having finished cleaning the dining table, Miss Peregrine sat on a couch, staring at her mobile phone, near where some of the children were chatting and playing.

She was not actually listening to what they were saying, but at a certain moment, their conversation started to call her attention:

- It seems that Jake and that girl, Ruby, who was here a few days ago, are dating.

- Yes, apparently. Besides, I saw them together for like three days in a row.

- Right... I think he had even given her a gift...

Alma recalled. She had also seen them outside the house a few days before,when she was coming back from the supermarket. She did not even consider that possibility her wards were mentioning, but now she was feeling slightly uncomfortable. Things between Jake and her were going so well... Now, there were two options: or she has misunderstood the young man's behavior, or he was not being the most loyal to his supposed girlfriend.