Chapter 27 - Freezing

Hi! Before you start reading, I wanted to say that I consider this chapter to be quite spicy, let's say, and in this case I've incorporated some words that are usually considered curse words. They are not many, but I just wanted to clarify that.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In Miss Peregrine's loop, the one we all know and love, located in Cairnholm, September 3rd, 1943, all the residents were doing alright. Although they were all quite used to it, the weather of the place was chilly, perhaps mainly because it was close to the sea, and there was always some cold wind. The thing was that, at the mansion, the system that provided heating, was malfunctioning, so it was colder than usual.

During the day, this was not a major problem, as it was always sunny, and this supplied some warmth. However, at night, the temperature would decrease significantly, and this was not good for the people in the house. The only thing that they could do was waiting until the issue could be solved, maybe with the help of someone external, but meanwhile, they had to go through a cold night.

Miss Peregrine, behaving as the awesome headmistress she had always been, was worried, thinking about the possibility of her pupils getting sick. She had left the fire of the chimney, on for as much as possible. Some of her children had suggested her if they could bring some mattresses and blankets to the living room, to lay next to the fireplace while it was on, to what she ended up agreeing. Later, it was agreed that all the children would stay downstairs, in the living room, the younger ones supervised by the older ones.

After bathing and changing into their pajamas, everyone was climbing up the stairs, and then going down, with the things they would take to the living room, in order to spend the night in there. Jake was helping some of the kids to carry their stuff, mainly the heavier things. While Miss Peregrine was doing the same, he approached her and said:

J- Do you want me to help you bring you mattress downstairs?

M- No, thanks. I will be staying in my bedroom.

Claire, who was nearby, and heard the conversation, interrupted them, and asking Miss Peregrine, she said:

C- No! Stay here with us! Please...

M- I don't think so honey, I believe that I'll be more comfortable in my bedroom... (She said while picking her up, holding her in her arms lovingly).

C- Fine... But can we play together tomorrow? (She said stroking the ymbryne's hair, hugging her).

M- Of course! I would love that... (She said kissing her little girl's forehead, leaving her on the floor afterwards).

Apparently, this convinced the child, who left and followed some of her friends, carrying on with preparing everything for bedtime, leaving Miss Peregrine and Jake alone, once again. The two of them had been getting along very nicely, especially lately. They had become good friends, also making evident through the moments they would share together, a mutual attraction. They even had shared some kisses multiple times, slightly flirting, but this still not leading to things between them becoming more serious. Anyway, apparently, they were willing to let the other know about their feelings, so them becoming a couple, or sort of, was a matter of time. After a brief silence, Miss Peregrine said:

M- What about you? Are you staying downstairs?

J- Yeah, I think so... Don't you think you'll be cold in your bedroom?

M- No, I'll be alright, really...

J- Okay... (He said bringing her closer, kissing her cheek, then softly hugging her, to what she responded).