1.1 - Pendragons

Magic incarnate, god-eaters, feral-beasts. These are some of the titles used to describe the magnificent beings called Pendragons. Created with incalculable powers, capable of changing the course of history with a single roar. And you will be one of them, Player.

What makes these beings distinct from the others that populate Midragar is the fact that they are not part of the kingdom (taxonomy) plantanimalia, but of a specific one called Mineronimalia.

While all the races on the planet are from the kingdom plantanimalia, composed solely of organic matter, both heterotrophic (the flesh) and autotrophic (the leaves). Pendragons are organic and mineral matter.

Crystarcanes are born into the bodies of these beasts naturally and thus, in conjunction with the Chords in their throats and the Minerarcanes that run through their veins, have powers that can only be dreamed of by the races of Uplifted.

This characteristic also gives them a unique appearance that confers both charm and awe on those who observe. Pendragons strike the perfect balance between menace and beauty.

Pendragons have Crystarcanes in their teeth (with a specific type in their fangs), claws, eyes (made entirely of crystal), and bones. The type of Cristarcane is something completely unique to them, and they have all the properties of the various types of Crystarcanes in one structure.

This means that Pendragons have access to all fields of crystallurgy magic from birth, and do not need specific Arcane Rivers to supply their magic. However they are still required to fuel themselves in the same Arcane River of their Origin.

Having Minerarcanes flowing instead of blood, they are capable of superhuman feats thanks to the magic fields of Minerochemy. The most notable being the reduction of the effect of gravity on their bodies that allows them to fly as if they weighed a few grams rather than hundreds of pounds.

Pendragons have a very strong connection to the Chords of Creation, being able to sing the original notes without even thinking about the process. However, their minds (as well as those of all living beings) are far from being able to comprehend such notes, so everything sounds as if they were only growls and roars.

Their native language is Welsh, but they are polyglot by nature. This is thanks to the Perpetual Memory they possess.

Perpetual Memory is the name given to the phenomenon that happens whenever a Pendragon "dies" and is reborn remembering everything that happened before. From the first day until death. However, they lose any and all emotional connection to such memories.

This means that even if they remember everything they did, for them, it is as if it were another individual's story in their minds. They are able to remember everything, but feel nothing for these memories. Obviously, this concept is applied in a small way in the game mechanics.

Needless to say, the Uplifted are not able to understand this very well. Which further increases the Pendragons' fascination and detachment. It is hard enough to understand beings that always revive after they die, to try to understand how they remember everything they lived before, but act as completely different individuals, is madness.

As has been said, Pendragons revive whenever they die. This is because killing the body does not kill the crystal heart in their chests. This Eternal Heart is where all of a Pendragon's life comes from, it is also where all food eaten is destroyed at the molecular level and turned into nutrients for the Minerarcanes and Crystalarcanes in their bodies.It is only if the Eternal Heart is destroyed that a Pendragon meets True Death and is never able to be reborn again. However, there are not many things that can destroy an Eternal Heart. Canonically only Arcane Rivers (if a Pendragon enters one), an Excalibur, and the fangs or claws of a Pendragon.Excaliburs are melee weapons made by the Lady herself from the blood and a fragment of the Eternal Heart of a Pendragon. In addition to being an intrinsic part of them, and never able to be lost, they also grant them the power to assume a form similar to the Uplifted. Such a form is called the "Mortal Aspect" and the true form becomes the "Bestial Aspect".Since the true form is too sovereign for the Uplifted, the Pendragons were given the Excaliburs so that they could interact with them as equals. "Equals".In this respect, the Pendragons have humanoid appearance like the Uplifted with a proportional size. They also gain all the organs that Uplifted normally have. Thus, they are much more vulnerable to physical attacks.All interactions with Uplifted must be done with the Mortal Aspect, otherwise they are likely to scare or enchant them.The origin of the Pendragons is only known through tales they tell themselves. That hundreds of ages ago, when the titans that ruled over Midragar were extinct, the matriarch of the Pendragons, Myriah, found herself in such loneliness that she broke down in pain, and from these fragments the ten Pendragons were born.It is for this reason that the Pendragons are incapable of fitting in with any of the Ascended races. They were born out of loneliness and live this way constantly.The only thing that Pendragons are sure of is that they were born to hunt the offspring of the titans. The gods. This is their main motivation and they wouldn't know what to do beyond this. But this was before they received the Excaliburs.After they received the Excaliburs and gained consciousness, the connection with their instincts was strongly shaken. Just as happened with the Uplifted, the Pendragons need to learn to use magic again. They need to understand magic, and not simply feel it.The Excaliburs make the Pendragons vulnerable and ignorant like the Uplifted so that they can learn and grow like them and thus become the leaders they need.Only a being from outside a group has the vision to guide everyone without being influenced by the environment. However, only someone who has experienced what a group has been through can understand what they feel. This is where the Pendragons come in.