Part 51: Not Your Fault

(Y/N) gazed at the massive white blade sticking out of his gut, black blood dripping from his mouth. The blade seared his flesh, eliciting agony that could not be described. The black blood that touched the light emitted by it squirmed and boiled, almost appearing to be screaming in agony with a life of its own. 

SHUNK!!!

The blade pulled itself back into (Y/N), and he staggered forward, clutching the massive wound in his gut, the blade left behind a wound that-

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Y/N) roared in agony as the blade dug through his stomach once again, cleaving his belly open diagonally. Makima flew out of the massive hole she had just opened, skidding to a halt on the sand. She clutched an ethereal sword, which had a golden hilt that could only be described as angelic in nature and design. Its blade was composed of a small white flame. Despite the blade being big enough to cleave open (Y/N)'s massive form moments ago, the blade now was only a few inches long, barely holding its shape as the small flame flickered.

(Y/N) vomited a torrent of black blood, a massive glowing gash in his stomach. The dark blood squirmed, trying and failing to close the wound as he crumpled to his knees. The wound opened beyond the boundary of (Y/N)'s flesh. It was as if she had cleaved through reality itself with that blade.

(Y/N) choked on his blood, snarling in a mix of rage and agony. 

"It's interesting, is it not?" Makima asked. "The Gun was offered one year from the life of every American citizen, nearly equating to 270 million years, yet it was struck down relatively easily." Makima said. "Whereas this sword here used only two thousand years of human lifespans, yet it holds so much power." Makima said, gazing at the flickering flame of her blade. "But when you think about it, it all makes sense..."

"Picture losing one year from your lifespan. It doesn't seem all that bad, does it not? You could take up to five, or even ten before you start seriously worrying." Makima began. "Whereas with this sword, I dedicated the entire remaining lifespans of only around fifty devil hunters. You see, the difference in strength comes from the intrinsic value of the human lifespan. Fifty people could fork over a year of their life willy-nilly, or with only a bit of apprehension. But a single person dedicating their remaining fifty years of life, all their potential to find happiness, success, love, and all the good things to be found in living, holds exponentially higher value."

"MAKIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Y/N) roared, ignoring Makima's little diatribe. His cloak thrashed violently as a hundred darkness blades flew from beneath it. They moved instantaneously, every single blade burying itself in Makima's body, turning her into a pincushion of otherworldly swords as she was swallowed in an explosion of pure darkness.

Makima waved the flaming sword, the white flame blazing to life as it dissipated the darkness in a moment.

(Y/N) roared, manifesting a darkness blade and blitzing toward her. He impaled her straight through the eye, bursting the blade through the back of her head and impaling her head to the ground. He snarled, spraying Makima's face with droplets of black blood as the darkness began to swallow them both, blanketing them like a living organism.

Makima smirked.

And held the hilt of the blade against (Y/N)'s chest.

"Let..."

"There..."

"Be..."

...

"Light."